55楼:25 / The Seven Ravens七只乌鸦

57楼:26 / Little Red-Cap小红帽

59楼:27 / The Bremen Town-Musicians当音乐家去

61楼:28 / The Singing Bone会唱歌的白骨

63楼:29 / The Devil With the Three Golden Hairs魔鬼的三根金发

65楼:30 / The Louse and the Flea虱子和跳蚤

67楼:31 / The Girl Without Hands没有手的姑娘

69楼:32 / Clever Hans称心如意的汉斯

.......................不断添加......................

[/b]

[ 编辑 skymoontourbillion 在 05-12-13 11:52 ]

[b]

1/ The Frog-King, or Iron Henry

In old times when wishing still helped one, there lived a king whose daughters were all beautiful, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun itself, which has seen so much, was astonished whenever it shone in her face. Close by the King's castle lay a great dark forest, and under an old lime-tree in the forest was a well, and when the day was very warm, the King's child went out into the forest and sat down by the side of the cool fountain, and when she was dull she took a golden ball, and threw it up on high and caught it, and this ball was her favorite plaything.
Now it so happened that on one occasion the princess's golden ball did not fall into the little hand which she was holding up for it, but on to the ground beyond, and rolled straight into the water. The King's daughter followed it with her eyes, but it vanished, and the well was deep, so deep that the bottom could not be seen. On this she began to cry, and cried louder and louder, and could not be comforted. And as she thus lamented some one said to her, "What ails thee, King's daughter? Thou weepest so that even a stone would show pity." She looked round to the side from whence the voice came, and saw a frog stretching forth its thick, ugly head from the water. "Ah! old water-splasher, is it thou?" said she; "I am weeping for my golden ball, which has fallen into the well."

"Be quiet, and do not weep," answered the frog, "I can help thee, but what wilt thou give me if I bring thy plaything up again?" "Whatever thou wilt have, dear frog," said she -- "My clothes, my pearls and jewels, and even the golden crown which I am wearing."

The frog answered, "I do not care for thy clothes, thy pearls and jewels, or thy golden crown, but if thou wilt love me and let me be thy companion and play-fellow, and sit by thee at thy little table, and eat off thy little golden plate, and drink out of thy little cup, and sleep in thy little bed -- if thou wilt promise me this I will go down below, and bring thee thy golden ball up again."

"Oh yes," said she, "I promise thee all thou wishest, if thou wilt but bring me my ball back again." She, however, thought, "How the silly frog does talk! He lives in the water with the other frogs, and croaks, and can be no companion to any human being!"

But the frog when he had received this promise, put his head into the water and sank down, and in a short while came swimmming up again with the ball in his mouth, and threw it on the grass. The King's daughter was delighted to see her pretty plaything once more, and picked it up, and ran away with it. "Wait, wait," said the frog. "Take me with thee. I can't run as thou canst." But what did it avail him to scream his croak, croak, after her, as loudly as he could? She did not listen to it, but ran home and soon forgot the poor frog, who was forced to go back into his well again.

The next day when she had seated herself at table with the King and all the courtiers, and was eating from her little golden plate, something came creeping splish splash, splish splash, up the marble staircase, and when it had got to the top, it knocked at the door and cried, "Princess, youngest princess, open the door for me." She ran to see who was outside, but when she opened the door, there sat the frog in front of it. Then she slammed the door to, in great haste, sat down to dinner again, and was quite frightened. The King saw plainly that her heart was beating violently, and said, "My child, what art thou so afraid of? Is there perchance a giant outside who wants to carry thee away?" "Ah, no," replied she. "It is no giant but a disgusting frog."

"What does a frog want with thee?" "Ah, dear father, yesterday as I was in the forest sitting by the well, playing, my golden ball fell into the water. And because I cried so, the frog brought it out again for me, and because he so insisted, I promised him he should be my companion, but I never thought he would be able to come out of his water! And now he is outside there, and wants to come in to me."

In the meantime it knocked a second time, and cried,

"Princess! youngest princess!
Open the door for me!
Dost thou not know what thou saidst to me
Yesterday by the cool waters of the fountain?
Princess, youngest princess!
Open the door for me!"
Then said the King, "That which thou hast promised must thou perform. Go and let him in." She went and opened the door, and the frog hopped in and followed her, step by step, to her chair. There he sat and cried, "Lift me up beside thee." She delayed, until at last the King commanded her to do it. When the frog was once on the chair he wanted to be on the table, and when he was on the table he said, "Now, push thy little golden plate nearer to me that we may eat together." She did this, but it was easy to see that she did not do it willingly. The frog enjoyed what he ate, but almost every mouthful she took choked her. At length he said, "I have eaten and am satisfied; now I am tired, carry me into thy little room and make thy little silken bed ready, and we will both lie down and go to sleep."
The King's daughter began to cry, for she was afraid of the cold frog which she did not like to touch, and which was now to sleep in her pretty, clean little bed. But the King grew angry and said, "He who helped thee when thou wert in trouble ought not afterwards to be despised by thee." So she took hold of the frog with two fingers, carried him upstairs, and put him in a corner. But when she was in bed he crept to her and said, "I am tired, I want to sleep as well as thou, lift me up or I will tell thy father." Then she was terribly angry, and took him up and threw him with all her might against the wall. "Now, thou wilt be quiet, odious frog," said she. But when he fell down he was no frog but a King's son with beautiful kind eyes. He by her father's will was now her dear companion and husband. Then he told her how he had been bewitched by a wicked witch, and how no one could have delivered him from the well but herself, and that to-morrow they would go together into his kingdom. Then they went to sleep, and next morning when the sun awoke them, a carriage came driving up with eight white horses, which had white ostrich feathers on their heads, and were harnessed with golden chains, and behind stood the young King's servant Faithful Henry. Faithful Henry had been so unhappy when his master was changed into a frog, that he had caused three iron bands to be laid round his heart, lest it should burst with grief and sadness. The carriage was to conduct the young King into his Kingdom. Faithful Henry helped them both in, and placed himself behind again, and was full of joy because of this deliverance. And when they had driven a part of the way the King's son heard a cracking behind him as if something had broken. So he turned round and cried, "Henry, the carriage is breaking."

"No, master, it is not the carriage. It is a band from my heart, which was put there in my great pain when you were a frog and imprisoned in the well." Again and once again while they were on their way something cracked, and each time the King's son thought the carriage was breaking; but it was only the bands which were springing from the heart of faithful Henry because his master was set free and was happy.

[/b]

[b]

青蛙王子

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

在遥远的古代,人们心中的美好愿望往往能够变成现实。就在那个令人神往的时代,曾
经有过一位国王。国王有好几个女儿,个个都长得非常美丽;尤其是他的小女儿,更是美如
天仙,就连见多识广的太阳,每次照在她脸上时,都对她的美丽感到惊诧不已。
国王的宫殿附近,有一片幽暗的大森林。在这片森林中的一棵老椴树下,有一个水潭,
水潭很深。在天热的时候,小公主常常来到这片森林,坐在清凉的水潭边上。她坐在那里感
到无聊的时候,就取出一只金球,把金球抛向空中,然后再用手接住。这成了她最喜爱的游
戏。
不巧的是,有一次,小公主伸出两只小手去接金球,金球却没有落进她的手里,而是掉
到了地上,而且一下子就滚到了水潭里。小公主两眼紧紧地盯着金球,可是金球忽地一下子
在水潭里就没影儿了。因为水潭里的水很深,看不见底,小公主就哭了起来,她的哭声越来
越大,哭得伤心极了。哭着哭着,小公主突然听见有人大声说:“哎呀,公主,您这是怎么
啦?您这样嚎啕大哭,就连石头听了都会心疼的呀。”听了这话,小公主四处张望,想弄清
楚说话声是从哪儿传来的,不料却发现一只青蛙,从水里伸出他那丑陋不堪的肥嘟嘟的大脑
袋。
“啊!原来是你呀,游泳健将,”小公主对青蛙说道,“我在这儿哭,是因为我的金球
掉进水潭里去了。”
“好啦,不要难过,别哭了,”青蛙回答说,“我有办法帮助您。要是我帮您把您的金
球捞出来,您拿什么东西来回报我呢?”
“亲爱的青蛙,你要什么东西都成呵,”小公主回答说,“我的衣服、我的珍珠和宝
石、甚至我头上戴着的这顶金冠,都可以给你。”
听了这话,青蛙对小公主说:“您的衣服、您的珍珠、您的宝石,还有您的金冠,我哪
样都不想要。不过,要是您喜欢我,让我做您的好朋友,我们一起游戏,吃饭的时候让我和
您同坐一张餐桌,用您的小金碟子吃东西,用您的小高脚杯饮酒,晚上还让我睡在您的小床
上;要是您答应所有这一切的话,我就潜到水潭里去,把您的金球捞出来。”
“好的,太好了,”小公主说,“只要你愿意把我的金球捞出来,你的一切要求我都答
应。”小公主虽然嘴上这么说,心里却想:“这只青蛙可真够傻的,尽胡说八道!他只配蹲
在水潭里,和其他青蛙一起呱呱叫,怎么可能做人的好朋友呢?”
青蛙得到了小公主的许诺之后,把脑袋往水里一扎,就潜入了水潭。过了不大一会儿,
青蛙嘴里衔着金球,浮出了水面,然后把金球吐在草地上。小公主重又见到了自己心爱的玩
具,心里别提有多高兴了。她把金球拣了起来,撒腿就跑。
“别跑!别跑!”青蛙大声叫道,“带上我呀!我可跑不了您那么快。”
尽管青蛙扯着嗓子拼命叫喊,可是没有一点儿用。小公主对青蛙的喊叫根本不予理睬,
而是径直跑回了家,并且很快就把可怜的青蛙忘记得一干二净。青蛙只好蹦蹦跳跳地又回到
水潭里去。
第二天,小公主跟国王和大臣们刚刚坐上餐桌,才开始用她的小金碟进餐,突然听见啪
啦啪啦的声音。随着声响,有个什么东西顺着大理石台阶往上跳,到了门口时,便一边敲门
一边大声嚷嚷:“小公主,快开门!”听到喊声,小公主急忙跑到门口,想看看是谁在门外
喊叫。打开门一看,原来是那只青蛙,正蹲在门前。小公主见是青蛙,猛然把门关上,转身
赶紧回到座位,心里害怕极了。国王发现小公主一副心慌意乱的样子,就问她:
“孩子,你怎么会吓成这个样子?该不是门外有个巨人要把你抓走吧?”
“啊,不是的,”小公主回答说,“不是什么巨人,而是一只讨厌的青蛙。”“青蛙想
找你做什么呢?”
“唉!我的好爸爸,昨天,我到森林里去了。坐在水潭边上玩的时候,金球掉到水潭里
去了,于是我就哭了。我哭得很伤心,青蛙就替我把金球捞了上来。因为青蛙请求我做他的
朋友,我就答应了,可是我压根儿没有想到,他会从水潭里爬出来,爬这么远的路到这儿
来。现在他就在门外呢,想要上咱这儿来。”正说着话的当儿,又听见了敲门声,接着是大
声的喊叫:
“小公主啊我的爱,
快点儿把门打开!
爱你的人已到来,
快点儿把门打开!
你不会忘记昨天,
老椴树下水潭边,
潭水深深球不见,
是你亲口许诺言。”
国王听了之后对小公主说,“你决不能言而无信,快去开门让他进来。”小公主走过去
把门打开,青蛙蹦蹦跳跳地进了门,然后跟着小公主来到座位前,接着大声叫道,“把我抱
到你身旁呀!”
小公主听了吓得发抖,国王却吩咐她照青蛙说的去做。青蛙被放在了椅子上,可心里不
太高兴,想到桌子上去。上了桌子之后又说,“把您的小金碟子推过来一点儿好吗?这样我
们就可以一快儿吃啦。”很显然,小公主很不情愿这么做,可她还是把金碟子推了过去。青
蛙吃得津津有味,可小公主却一点儿胃口都没有。终于,青蛙开口说,“我已经吃饱了。现
在我有点累了,请把我抱到您的小卧室去,铺好您的缎子被盖,然后我们就寝吧。”
小公主害怕这只冷冰冰的青蛙,连碰都不敢碰一下。一听他要在自己整洁漂亮的小床上
睡觉,就哭了起来。
国王见小公主这个样子,就生气地对她说,“在我们困难的时候帮助过我们的人,不论
他是谁,过后都不应当受到鄙视。”
于是,小公主用两只纤秀的手指把青蛙挟起来,带着他上了楼,把他放在卧室的一个角
落里。可是她刚刚在床上躺下,青蛙就爬到床边对她说,“我累了,我也想在床上睡觉。
请把我抱上来,要不然我就告诉您父亲。”
一听这话,小公主勃然大怒,一把抓起青蛙,朝墙上死劲儿摔去。
“现在你想睡就去睡吧,你这个丑陋的讨厌鬼!”
谁知他一落地,已不再是什么青蛙,却一下子变成了一位王子:一位两眼炯炯有神、满
面笑容的王子。直到这时候,王子才告诉小公主,原来他被一个狠毒的巫婆施了魔法,除了
小公主以外,谁也不能把他从水潭里解救出来。于是,遵照国王的旨意,他成为小公主亲密
的朋友和伴侣,明天,他们将一道返回他的王国。第二天早上,太阳爬上山的时候,一辆八
匹马拉的大马车已停在了门前,马头上都插着洁白的羽毛,一晃一晃的,马身上套着金光闪
闪的马具。车后边站着王子的仆人――忠心耿耿的亨利。亨利的主人被变成一只青蛙之后,
他悲痛欲绝,于是他在自己的胸口套上了三个铁箍,免得他的心因为悲伤而破碎了。
马车来接年轻的王子回他的王国去。忠心耿耿的亨利扶着他的主人和王妃上了车厢,然
后自己又站到了车后边去。他们上路后刚走了不远,突然听见噼噼啦啦的响声,好像有什么
东西断裂了。路上,噼噼啦啦声响了一次又一次,每次王子和王妃听见响声,都以为是车上
的什么东西坏了。其实不然,忠心耿耿的亨利见主人是那么地幸福,因而感到欣喜若狂,于
是那几个铁箍就从他的胸口上一个接一个地崩掉了。
------------------

[/b]

[b]

2 / Cat and Mouse in Partnership

A certain cat had made the acquaintance of a mouse, and had said so much to her about the great love and friendship she felt for her, that at length the mouse agreed that they should live and keep house together. "But we must make a provision for winter, or else we shall suffer from hunger," said the cat, "and you, little mouse, cannot venture everywhere, or you will be caught in a trap some day." The good advice was followed, and a pot of fat was bought, but they did not know where to put it. At length, after much consideration, the cat said, "I know no place where it will be better stored up than in the church, for no one dares take anything away from there. We will set it beneath the altar, and not touch it until we are really in need of it." So the pot was placed in safety, but it was not long before the cat had a great yearning for it, and said to the mouse, "I want to tell you something, little mouse; my cousin has brought a little son into the world, and has asked me to be godmother; he is white with brown spots, and I am to hold him over the font at the christening. Let me go out to-day, and you look after the house by yourself." "Yes, yes," answered the mouse, "by all means go, and if you get anything very good, think of me, I should like a drop of sweet red christening wine too." All this, however, was untrue; the cat had no cousin, and had not been asked to be godmother. She went straight to the church, stole to the pot of fat, began to lick at it, and licked the top of the fat off. Then she took a walk upon the roofs of the town, looked out for opportunities, and then stretched herself in the sun, and licked her lips whenever she thought of the pot of fat, and not until it was evening did she return home. "Well, here you are again," said the mouse, "no doubt you have had a merry day." "All went off well," answered the cat. "What name did they give the child?" "Top off!" said the cat quite coolly. "Top off!" cried the mouse, "that is a very odd and uncommon name, is it a usual one in your family?" "What does it signify," said the cat, "it is no worse than Crumb-stealer, as your god-children are called."
Before long the cat was seized by another fit of longing. She said to the mouse, "You must do me a favour, and once more manage the house for a day alone. I am again asked to be godmother, and, as the child has a white ring round its neck, I cannot refuse." The good mouse consented, but the cat crept behind the town walls to the church, and devoured half the pot of fat. "Nothing ever seems so good as what one keeps to oneself," said she, and was quite satisfied with her day's work. When she went home the mouse inquired, "And what was this child christened?" "Half-done," answered the cat. "Half-done! What are you saying? I never heard the name in my life, I'll wager anything it is not in the calendar!"

The cat's mouth soon began to water for some more licking. "All good things go in threes," said she, "I am asked to stand godmother again. The child is quite black, only it has white paws, but with that exception, it has not a single white hair on its whole body; this only happens once every few years, you will let me go, won't you?" "Top-off! Half-done!" answered the mouse, "they are such odd names, they make me very thoughtful." "You sit at home," said the cat, "in your dark-grey fur coat and long tail, and are filled with fancies, that's because you do not go out in the daytime." During the cat's absence the mouse cleaned the house, and put it in order but the greedy cat entirely emptied the pot of fat. "When everything is eaten up one has some peace," said she to herself, and well filled and fat she did not return home till night. The mouse at once asked what name had been given to the third child. "It will not please you more than the others," said the cat. "He is called All-gone." "All-gone," cried the mouse, "that is the most suspicious name of all! I have never seen it in print. All-gone; what can that mean?" and she shook her head, curled herself up, and lay down to sleep.

From this time forth no one invited the cat to be god-mother, but when the winter had come and there was no longer anything to be found outside, the mouse thought of their provision, and said, "Come cat, we will go to our pot of fat which we have stored up for ourselves -- we shall enjoy that." "Yes," answered the cat, "you will enjoy it as much as you would enjoy sticking that dainty tongue of yours out of the window." They set out on their way, but when they arrived, the pot of fat certainly was still in its place, but it was empty. "Alas!" said the mouse, "now I see what has happened, now it comes to light! You are a true friend! You have devoured all when you were standing godmother. First top off, then half done, then --." "Will you hold your tongue," cried the cat, "one word more and I will eat you too." "All gone" was already on the poor mouse's lips; scarcely had she spoken it before the cat sprang on her, seized her, and swallowed her down. Verily, that is the way of the world.

[/b]

[ 编辑 skymoontourbillion 在 05-12-12 20:04 ]

[b]

猫和老鼠合伙

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

有一只猫认识了一只老鼠,便对它大谈特谈自己是多么喜欢老鼠,原意和它交朋友,弄
得老鼠终于同意和猫住在一起,共同生活。“我们得准备过冬的东西了,不然我们到冬天会
挨饿的,”猫说,“至于你嘛,我的小老鼠,哪里也不要去,我真怕你会被什么老鼠夹子夹
住。”老鼠接受了猫的好建议,于是它们买来了一罐猪油,然而两个人都不知道该把猪油放
在什么地方。它们左思考右思考,最后猫说:“我觉得这猪油放在教堂里是再合适不过的
了,因为谁也不敢偷教堂里的东西。我们把猪油藏在祭坛下,不到万不得已的时候决不动
它。”猪油罐就这样被放到了安全的地方。可是没过多久,猫开始想吃猪油了,便对老鼠
说:“小老鼠,我想跟你说点事。我的表姐刚刚生了一个小宝宝,还请我当小宝贝的教母。
那小宝贝全身雪白,带着一些褐色的斑点。我要抱着它去接受洗礼,所以今天要出去一下,
你一个人在家看家,好吗?”“好的,好的,”老鼠说,“你尽管去吧。要是有什么好吃的
东西,千万要记着我。我很想尝一点洗礼时用的红葡萄酒。”这一切当然都不是真的,因为
猫并没有表姐,也没有被请去当教母。它直接去了教堂,偷偷爬到猪油罐那里,开始舔呀
舔,把顶上一层猪油舔得精光。然后,它在城里的屋顶上散了散步,想碰碰别的运气;接着
便躺下来晒太阳。每当想起那罐猪油,它都情不自禁地舔舔自己的嘴唇。它一直等到天黑才
回家。“啊,你终于回来了,”老鼠说,“这一天肯定过得很开心吧?”“一切顺利。”猫
答道。“你们给那孩子起了什么名字?”“没了顶层!”猫冷淡地说。“没了顶层!”老鼠
叫了起来,“这个古怪的名字可不多见。你们家常取这样的名字吗?”“那有什么?”猫
说,“不比你的那些教子叫什么‘偷面包屑的’更糟吧?”
没过多久,猫又想吃猪油了。它对老鼠说:“你得帮我一个忙,再一个人看一次家。又
有人请我当教母了,而且这个孩子的脖子上有一道白圈,我实在无法推辞。”好心的老鼠同
意了。猫从城墙后面溜进教堂,一口气吃掉了半罐猪油。“什么东西也没有比吃到自己的嘴
里更好,”它说,心里对这一天的收获感到很满意。等它到家时,老鼠问道:“这个孩子起
的什么名字呀?”“吃了一半,”猫回答。“吃了一半!你在说什么呀?我长这么大了还从
来没有听说过这样的名字。我敢打赌,就是年历上也不会有这样的名字!”
不久,猫的嘴巴又开始流口水了,想再去舔一舔猪油。
“好事成三嘛,”它说,“又有人请我去当教母了。这个孩子除了爪子是白色的,浑身
黑黝黝的,连一根白毛都没有。这是好几年才会碰上的事情,你当然会同意我去的,是
吗?”“没了顶层!吃了一半!”老鼠回答,“这些名字真怪!我实在弄不明白。”“你白
天又不出门,”猫说,“整天穿着深灰色的皮袄,拖着长长的尾巴,坐在家里胡思乱想,当
然弄不明白啦!”趁着猫不在家,老鼠把屋子打扫了一下,把东西放得整整齐齐。可是那只
馋猫把剩下的猪油吃得干干净净。“人只有把东西吃得干干净净才能放心,”它自言自语地
说。它吃得饱饱的,直到天黑了才挺着圆圆的肚子回家。老鼠看到它回来,立刻问它这第三
个孩子起的什么名字。“你也不会喜欢这个名字,”猫说,“它叫‘吃得精光’。”“吃得
精光!”老鼠叫了起来,“这个名字太令人费解了!我从来没有在书上见过。吃得精光!这
是什么意思呢?”它摇摇头,蜷缩起身子,躺下睡着了。
从此,猫再也没有被邀请去当教母。可是冬天来到了,外面再也找不到任何吃的东西。
老鼠想到了它们准备的过冬的东西,便说:“走吧,猫!我们去取储存的猪油吧。我们可以
美美吃上一顿。”“是的,”猫回答,“那准会把你美得就像把你那尖尖的舌头伸到窗外去
喝西北风一样。”它们动身去教堂,可它们到达那里后,看到猪油罐倒是还在那里,里面却
是空的。“天哪!”老鼠说,“我现在终于明白是怎么回事了!你可真是个好朋友!你在去
当什么教母的时候,把这猪油全吃光了!先是吃了顶上一层,然后吃了一半,最后……”
“你给我住嘴!”猫嚷道,“你要是再罗嗦,我连你也吃了!”“……吃得精光,”可怜的
老鼠脱口而出。它刚把话说完,猫就扑到了它的身上,抓住它,把它吞进了肚子。这世界就
是这样!

[/b]

[b]

3 / Our Lady's Child

Hard by a great forest dwelt a wood-cutter with his wife, who had an only child, a little girl three years old. They were so poor, however, that they no longer had daily bread, and did not know how to get food for her. One morning the wood-cutter went out sorrowfully to his work in the forest, and while he was cutting wood, suddenly there stood before him a tall and beautiful woman with a crown of shining stars on her head, who said to him, "I am the Virgin Mary, mother of the child Jesus. Thou art poor and needy, bring thy child to me, I will take her with me and be her mother, and care for her." The wood-cutter obeyed, brought his child, and gave her to the Virgin Mary, who took her up to heaven with her. There the child fared well, ate sugar-cakes, and drank sweet milk, and her clothes were of gold, and the little angels played with her. And when she was fourteen years of age, the Virgin Mary called her one day and said, "Dear child, I am about to make a long journey, so take into thy keeping the keys of the thirteen doors of heaven. Twelve of these thou mayest open, and behold the glory which is within them, but the thirteenth, to which this little key belongs, is forbidden thee. Beware of opening it, or thou wilt bring misery on thyself." The girl promised to be obedient, and when the Virgin Mary was gone, she began to examine the dwellings of the kingdom of heaven. Each day she opened one of them, until she had made the round of the twelve. In each of them sat one of the Apostles in the midst of a great light, and she rejoiced in all the magnificence and splendour, and the little angels who always accompanied her rejoiced with her. Then the forbidden door alone remained, and she felt a great desire to know what could be hidden behind it, and said to the angels, "I will not quite open it, and I will not go inside it, but I will unlock it so that we can just see a little through the opening." "Oh no," said the little angels, "that would be a sin. The Virgin Mary has forbidden it, and it might easily cause thy unhappiness." Then she was silent, but the desire in her heart was not stilled, but gnawed there and tormented her, and let her have no rest. And once when the angels had all gone out, she thought, "Now I am quite alone, and I could peep in. If I do it, no one will ever know." She sought out the key, and when she had got it in her hand, she put it in the lock, and when she had put it in, she turned it round as well. Then the door sprang open, and she saw there the Trinity sitting in fire and splendour. She stayed there awhile, and looked at everything in amazement; then she touched the light a little with her finger, and her finger became quite golden. Immediately a great fear fell on her. She shut the door violently, and ran away. Her terror too would not quit her, let her do what she might, and her heart beat continually and would not be still; the gold too stayed on her finger, and would not go away, let her rub it and wash it never so much.
It was not long before the Virgin Mary came back from her journey. She called the girl before her, and asked to have the keys of heaven back. When the maiden gave her the bunch, the Virgin looked into her eyes and said, "Hast thou not opened the thirteenth door also?" "No," she replied. Then she laid her hand on the girl's heart, and felt how it beat and beat, and saw right well that she had disobeyed her order and had opened the door. Then she said once again, "Art thou certain that thou hast not done it?" "Yes," said the girl, for the second time. Then she perceived the finger which had become golden from touching the fire of heaven, and saw well that the child had sinned, and said for the third time "Hast thou not done it?" "No," said the girl for the third time. Then said the Virgin Mary, "Thou hast not obeyed me, and besides that thou hast lied, thou art no longer worthy to be in heaven."

Then the girl fell into a deep sleep, and when she awoke she lay on the earth below, and in the midst of a wilderness. She wanted to cry out, but she could bring forth no sound. She sprang up and wanted to run away, but whithersoever she turned herself, she was continually held back by thick hedges of thorns through which she could not break. In the desert, in which she was imprisoned, there stood an old hollow tree, and this had to be her dwelling-place. Into this she crept when night came, and here she slept. Here, too, she found a shelter from storm and rain, but it was a miserable life, and bitterly did she weep when she remembered how happy she had been in heaven, and how the angels had played with her. Roots and wild berries were her only food, and for these she sought as far as she could go. In the autumn she picked up the fallen nuts and leaves, and carried them into the hole. The nuts were her food in winter, and when snow and ice came, she crept amongst the leaves like a poor little animal that she might not freeze. Before long her clothes were all torn, and one bit of them after another fell off her. As soon, however, as the sun shone warm again, she went out and sat in front of the tree, and her long hair covered her on all sides like a mantle. Thus she sat year after year, and felt the pain and the misery of the world. One day, when the trees were once more clothed in fresh green, the King of the country was hunting in the forest, and followed a roe, and as it had fled into the thicket which shut in this part of the forest, he got off his horse, tore the bushes asunder, and cut himself a path with his sword. When he had at last forced his way through, he saw a wonderfully beautiful maiden sitting under the tree; and she sat there and was entirely covered with her golden hair down to her very feet. He stood still and looked at her full of surprise, then he spoke to her and said, "Who art thou? Why art thou sitting here in the wilderness?" But she gave no answer, for she could not open her mouth. The King continued, "Wilt thou go with me to my castle?" Then she just nodded her head a little. The King took her in his arms, carried her to his horse, and rode home with her, and when he reached the royal castle he caused her to be dressed in beautiful garments, and gave her all things in abundance. Although she could not speak, she was still so beautiful and charming that he began to love her with all his heart, and it was not long before he married her.

After a year or so had passed, the Queen brought a son into the world. Thereupon the Virgin Mary appeared to her in the night when she lay in her bed alone, and said, "If thou wilt tell the truth and confess that thou didst unlock the forbidden door, I will open thy mouth and give thee back thy speech, but if thou perseverest in thy sin, and deniest obstinately, I will take thy new-born child away with me." Then the queen was permitted to answer, but she remained hard, and said, "No, I did not open the forbidden door;" and the Virgin Mary took the new-born child from her arms, and vanished with it. Next morning when the child was not to be found, it was whispered among the people that the Queen was a man-eater, and had killed her own child. She heard all this and could say nothing to the contrary, but the King would not believe it, for he loved her so much.

When a year had gone by the Queen again bore a son, and in the night the Virgin Mary again came to her, and said, "If thou wilt confess that thou openedst the forbidden door, I will give thee thy child back and untie thy tongue; but if you continuest in sin and deniest it, I will take away with me this new child also." Then the Queen again said, "No, I did not open the forbidden door;" and the Virgin took the child out of her arms, and away with her to heaven. Next morning, when this child also had disappeared, the people declared quite loudly that the Queen had devoured it, and the King's councillors demanded that she should be brought to justice. The King, however, loved her so dearly that he would not believe it, and commanded the councillors under pain of death not to say any more about it.

The following year the Queen gave birth to a beautiful little daughter, and for the third time the Virgin Mary appeared to her in the night and said, "Follow me." She took the Queen by the hand and led her to heaven, and showed her there her two eldest children, who smiled at her, and were playing with the ball of the world. When the Queen rejoiced thereat, the Virgin Mary said, "Is thy heart not yet softened? If thou wilt own that thou openedst the forbidden door, I will give thee back thy two little sons." But for the third time the Queen answered, "No, I did not open the forbidden door." Then the Virgin let her sink down to earth once more, and took from her likewise her third child.

Next morning, when the loss was reported abroad, all the people cried loudly, "The Queen is a man-eater. She must be judged," and the King was no longer able to restrain his councillors. Thereupon a trial was held, and as she could not answer, and defend herself, she was condemned to be burnt alive. The wood was got together, and when she was fast bound to the stake, and the fire began to burn round about her, the hard ice of pride melted, her heart was moved by repentance, and she thought, "If I could but confess before my death that I opened the door." Then her voice came back to her, and she cried out loudly, "Yes, Mary, I did it;" and straight-way rain fell from the sky and extinguished the flames of fire, and a light broke forth above her, and the Virgin Mary descended with the two little sons by her side, and the new-born daughter in her arms. She spoke kindly to her, and said, "He who repents his sin and acknowledges it, is forgiven." Then she gave her the three children, untied her tongue, and granted her happiness for her whole life.

[/b]

圣母的孩子

大森林边住着一位樵夫和他的妻子。他们只有一个孩子,是个三岁的女孩。可是他们非

常穷,连每天要吃的面包都没有,更不知道该拿什么东西喂孩子。一天早晨,樵夫愁眉苦脸

地到森林里去砍柴,他的面前突然出现了一位高大、美丽的女人,她的头上还戴着一顶饰满

了闪烁的星星的宝冠。她对樵夫说:“我是耶稣的母亲,圣母玛利亚。你很穷,需要帮助。

把你的孩子给我吧。我愿意把她带走,做她的母亲,好好照料她。”樵夫听从她的话,把孩

子带来,交给了圣母玛利亚。圣母玛利亚把孩子带到了天堂。孩子在天堂里过得很舒服,吃

的是糖饼,喝的是甜牛奶,穿的是金衣服,陪她玩的是小天使。她长到十四岁时,圣母玛利

亚有一天把她叫到面前,对她说:“亲爱的孩子,我要出一趟远门。这是天国十三座门的钥

匙,由你保管。你可以打开其中十二扇门,看看里面的美景。这把小钥匙是开第十三扇门

的,但是你千万不要把那扇门打开,不然你会遭到不幸的。”小女孩答应一定听圣母玛利亚

的话。等圣母玛利亚走了之后,她开始参观天国的住房。她每天打开一扇门,直到十二扇门

被她一一打开。她看到每一扇门里都坐着一位耶稣的门徒,周围一片光辉灿烂。这辉煌的景

象让她万分欢喜,也让昼夜陪伴她的小天使们非常高兴。现在只剩下那扇禁止被打开的门

了。她非常想知道这扇门的后面藏的是什么,便对天使们说:“我不把门全打开,也不进

去。我只想打开一条缝,好让我们大家看看里面有什么。”“啊,不行,”小天使们说,

“那样做是罪过。圣母玛利亚禁止你打开它,你要是不听话,可能很容易遭到不幸。”她听

到这话便不吭声了,可她心中的愿望并没有就此消失,而是在不停地折磨着她,让她得不到

片刻的安宁。一次,天使们全都出去了,她便想:“现在只有我一个人,可以进去看一眼。

我想谁也不会知道的。”她找出钥匙,一拿在手里就把它插进了锁孔,一插进锁孔就转动了

一下,门一下子就开了。她看到里面在火与光之中坐着“三位一体”(基督教认为圣父、圣

子、圣灵原为一体,故称“三位一体”――译者注)。她站在那里,惊讶地望着一切,然后

用手指碰了碰火光,她的手指立刻变成了金的。她顿时害怕极了,猛地关上门,逃走了。可

是无论她想什么办法,她都无法消除她的恐惧。她的心总是怦怦直跳,怎么也静不下来,而

且手指上的金子怎么也去不掉,无论是擦呀还是洗呀,那金子还在那里。

圣母玛利亚不久就旅行回来了。她把小女孩叫到跟前,向她要回天国的钥匙。当她把钥

匙递过去时,圣母玛利亚盯着她的眼睛问:“你没有打开第十三扇门吧?”“没有。”小女

孩回答。圣母把手放在小女孩的心口,感觉到她的心跳得很厉害,立刻明白她没有听话,知

道她打开过那扇门。于是圣母又问:“你真的没有打开过那扇门吗?”“没有。”小女孩第

二次回答。这时,圣母看到了小女孩因为碰了天火而变成了金子的手指,知道她犯了罪,便

第三次问她:“你真的没有?”“没有。”小女孩第三次说。圣母玛利亚说:“你没有听我

的话,而且你还撒谎。你不配再在天堂住下去了。”

小姑娘昏昏沉沉地睡着了。当她醒来时,她发现自己躺在人间的一片荒野中。她想喊

叫,可是她发不出任何声音。她站起来想逃走,却发现自己无论走哪个方向,总有密密的荆

棘丛挡住她的去路,怎么也越不过去。在包围她的荒地上立着一棵空心的老树,这便成了她

的家。夜晚来临时,她就爬进树洞,睡在里面。刮风下雨的时候,她也躲在里面。这种生活

非常凄惨。每当她想起天堂里的幸福生活,想起和小天使们玩耍的情景,她都会伤心痛哭。

草根和野果是她唯一的食物,而这些她还得努力寻找。秋天到来的时候,她捡起掉在地上的

核桃和树叶,把它们搬进洞。这些核桃是她冬天的食粮,而在雪花纷飞、天寒地冻的日子

里,她只能像可怜的小动物一样爬进那些树叶里,免得被冻死。不久,她的衣服就破了,一

片一片地掉了下来。当太阳重新暖洋洋地照耀大地时,她便爬出来坐在树前。她的长头发像

一件斗篷,把她全身遮得严严实实。她就这样一年一年地坐在那里,感受着世间的凄苦与不

幸。

冬去春来,树木重新换上了新绿。一天,国王在森林里打猎,追赶一头狍子,可狍子钻

进了包围着这片树林的灌木丛。国王下了马,拨开灌木,用剑为自己砍出了一条路。等他终

于穿过灌木丛时,他看到树下坐着一位非常美丽的姑娘。只见她坐在那里,金色的长发一直

垂到脚跟,把她全身上下遮得严严实实。国王呆呆地站在那里,无比惊讶地看着她,然后才

问她:“你是谁?怎么坐在这荒野里?”可是她无法说话,因为她张不了嘴。国王又问:

“你愿意跟我回王宫吗?”她只是稍稍点了点头。国王抱起她,把她放到马背上,带着她骑

马回宫。到了王宫后,他让人给她穿上最美的衣服,还给了她各种各样的东西。她虽然不会

说话,却非常美丽温柔,国王真心实意地爱上了她,没过多久就娶她做了妻子。

大约过了一年,这位王后生下了一个儿子。当天夜里,当她一个人躺在床上时,圣母玛

利亚出现在她的面前,并且对她说:“要是你说实话,承认自己打开过那扇禁止打开的门,

我就打开你的嘴,让你能开口说话;可要是你顽固不化,继续否认自己的罪孽,我就把你的

初生婴儿带走。”圣母这时允许王后说话,可王后固执地说:“不,我没有打开那扇禁止打

开的门。”圣母玛利亚便从她怀里夺过初生的婴儿,带着他消失了。第二天早晨,看到孩子

不见了,人们便在私下里议论,说王后是吃人的恶魔,竟然杀死了自己的孩子。这些话她全

听到了,却没法说什么。好在国王非常爱她,所以也不相信大家所说的话。

一年过后,王后又生了一个儿子。夜里圣母玛利亚又来到了她的面前,对她说:“要是

你承认打开过那扇禁止打开的门,我就把你的孩子还给你,并且让你开口说话;可要是你继

续否认,我就把你这个初生的孩子也带走。”王后仍然回答:“没有,我没有打开那扇

门。”圣母只好又从她怀里夺过孩子,带着他回天国去了。第二天早晨,人们看到这个孩子

又不见了,便公开地说孩子肯定是被王后吞吃掉了。国王的大臣们要求审判她,但国王因为

深爱着王后,不但不肯相信别人的话,而且还禁止大臣们谈及这件事,违者一律处死。

又过了一年,王后生了一个非常美丽的女儿。圣母玛利亚第三次在夜里出现在她的面

前,对她说:“跟我来。”她牵着王后的手,带着她来到天国,让她看她的两个儿子。那兄

弟俩一面朝她微笑,一面玩着地球仪。这情景让王后很高兴,圣母玛利亚便说:“你的心还

没有软下来吗?要是你承认你打开过那扇禁止打开的门,我就把你的两个儿子还给你。”可

是王后第三次回答道:“没有,我没有打开那扇门。”于是圣母让她重新回到地面,并且带

走了她的第三个孩子。

第二天早晨,当孩子失踪的消息传出去之后,所有的人都吼了起来:“王后是个吃人的

恶魔!我们必须审判她!”这一次连国王也无法再阻拦大臣们了。大家对她进行了审判。由

于她不能说话,无法为自己辩解,她被判处火刑。木柴堆好了,她被紧紧地绑在木桩上,烈

火开始在她的四周燃烧。这时,骄傲的坚冰开始融化,她的心中充满了悔恨。她想:“我要

是能在临死前承认我打开过那扇门就好了!”突然,她的嗓音恢复了,她大声喊道:“是

的,圣母,我开过那扇门!”话音刚落,大雨从天而降,浇灭了火焰。她的头顶出现了一道

亮光,圣母玛利亚怀抱刚刚出生的小公主,带着两个王子落在她的身边。她慈祥地对王后

说:“一个人只要承认自己的罪过,并且为此而忏悔,他就会得到宽恕。”她把三个孩子交

给王后,让她能重新说话,并且让她终身幸福。

------------------

[b]

4 / The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was
A certain father had two sons, the elder of whom was smart and sensible, and could do everything, but the younger was stupid and could neither learn nor understand anything, and when people saw him they said, "There's a fellow who will give his father some trouble!" When anything had to be done, it was always the elder who was forced to do it; but if his father bade him fetch anything when it was late, or in the night-time, and the way led through the churchyard, or any other dismal place, he answered "Oh, no, father, I'll not go there, it makes me shudder!" for he was afraid. Or when stories were told by the fire at night which made the flesh creep, the listeners sometimes said "Oh, it makes us shudder!" The younger sat in a corner and listened with the rest of them, and could not imagine what they could mean. "They are always saying 'it makes me shudder, it makes me shudder!' It does not make me shudder," thought he. "That, too, must be an art of which I understand nothing."
Now it came to pass that his father said to him one day "Hearken to me, thou fellow in the corner there, thou art growing tall and strong, and thou too must learn something by which thou canst earn thy living. Look how thy brother works, but thou dost not even earn thy salt." "Well, father," he replied, "I am quite willing to learn something -- indeed, if it could but be managed, I should like to learn how to shudder. I don't understand that at all yet." The elder brother smiled when he heard that, and thought to himself, "Good God, what a blockhead that brother of mine is! He will never be good for anything as long as he lives. He who wants to be a sickle must bend himself betimes."

The father sighed, and answered him "thou shalt soon learn what it is to shudder, but thou wilt not earn thy bread by that."

Soon after this the sexton came to the house on a visit, and the father bewailed his trouble, and told him how his younger son was so backward in every respect that he knew nothing and learnt nothing. "Just think," said he, "when I asked him how he was going to earn his bread, he actually wanted to learn to shudder." "If that be all," replied the sexton, "he can learn that with me. Send him to me, and I will soon polish him." The father was glad to do it, for he thought, "It will train the boy a little." The sexton therefore took him into his house, and he had to ring the bell. After a day or two, the sexton awoke him at midnight, and bade him arise and go up into the church tower and ring the bell. "Thou shalt soon learn what shuddering is," thought he, and secretly went there before him; and when the boy was at the top of the tower and turned round, and was just going to take hold of the bell rope, he saw a white figure standing on the stairs opposite the sounding hole. "Who is there?" cried he, but the figure made no reply, and did not move or stir. "Give an answer," cried the boy, "or take thy self off, thou hast no business here at night."

The sexton, however, remained standing motionless that the boy might think he was a ghost. The boy cried a second time, "What do you want here? -- speak if thou art an honest fellow, or I will throw thee down the steps!" The sexton thought, "he can't intend to be as bad as his words," uttered no sound and stood as if he were made of stone. Then the boy called to him for the third time, and as that was also to no purpose, he ran against him and pushed the ghost down the stairs, so that it fell down ten steps and remained lying there in a corner. Thereupon he rang the bell, went home, and without saying a word went to bed, and fell asleep. The sexton's wife waited a long time for her husband, but he did not come back. At length she became uneasy, and wakened the boy, and asked, "Dost thou not know where my husband is? He climbed up the tower before thou didst." "No, I don't know," replied the boy, "but some one was standing by the sounding hole on the other side of the steps, and as he would neither give an answer nor go away, I took him for a scoundrel, and threw him downstairs, just go there and you will see if it was he. I should be sorry if it were." The woman ran away and found her husband, who was lying moaning in the corner, and had broken his leg.

She carried him down, and then with loud screams she hastened to the boy's father. "Your boy," cried she, "has been the cause of a great misfortune! He has thrown my husband down the steps and made him break his leg. Take the good-for-nothing fellow away from our house." The father was terrified, and ran thither and scolded the boy. "What wicked tricks are these?" said he, "the devil must have put this into thy head." "Father," he replied, "do listen to me. I am quite innocent. He was standing there by night like one who is intending to do some evil. I did not know who it was, and I entreated him three times either to speak or to go away." "Ah," said the father, "I have nothing but unhappiness with you. Go out of my sight. I will see thee no more."

"Yes, father, right willingly, wait only until it is day. Then will I go forth and learn how to shudder, and then I shall, at any rate, understand one art which will support me." "Learn what thou wilt," spake the father, "it is all the same to me. Here are fifty thalers for thee. Take these and go into the wide world, and tell no one from whence thou comest, and who is thy father, for I have reason to be ashamed of thee." "Yes, father, it shall be as you will. If you desire nothing more than that, I can easily keep it in mind."

When day dawned, therefore, the boy put his fifty thalers into his pocket, and went forth on the great highway, and continually said to himself, "If I could but shudder! If I could but shudder!" Then a man approached who heard this conversation which the youth was holding with himself, and when they had walked a little farther to where they could see the gallows, the man said to him, "Look, there is the tree where seven men have married the ropemaker's daughter, and are now learning how to fly. Sit down below it, and wait till night comes, and you will soon learn how to shudder." "If that is all that is wanted," answered the youth, "it is easily done; but if I learn how to shudder as fast as that, thou shalt have my fifty thalers. Just come back to me early in the morning." Then the youth went to the gallows, sat down below it, and waited till evening came. And as he was cold, he lighted himself a fire, but at midnight the wind blew so sharply that in spite of his fire, he could not get warm. And as the wind knocked the hanged men against each other, and they moved backwards and forwards, he thought to himself "Thou shiverest below by the fire, but how those up above must freeze and suffer!" And as he felt pity for them, he raised the ladder, and climbed up, unbound one of them after the other, and brought down all seven. Then he stirred the fire, blew it, and set them all round it to warm themselves. But they sat there and did not stir, and the fire caught their clothes. So he said, "Take care, or I will hang you up again." The dead men, however, did not hear, but were quite silent, and let their rags go on burning. On this he grew angry, and said, "If you will not take care, I cannot help you, I will not be burnt with you," and he hung them up again each in his turn. Then he sat down by his fire and fell asleep, and the next morning the man came to him and wanted to have the fifty thalers, and said, "Well, dost thou know how to shudder?" "No," answered he, "how was I to get to know? Those fellows up there did not open their mouths, and were so stupid that they let the few old rags which they had on their bodies get burnt." Then the man saw that he would not get the fifty thalers that day, and went away saying, "One of this kind has never come my way before."

The youth likewise went his way, and once more began to mutter to himself, "Ah, if I could but shudder! Ah, if I could but shudder!" A waggoner who was striding behind him heard that and asked, "Who are you?" "I don't know," answered the youth. Then the waggoner asked, "From whence comest thou?" "I know not." "Who is thy father?" "That I may not tell thee." "What is it that thou art always muttering between thy teeth." "Ah," replied the youth, "I do so wish I could shudder, but no one can teach me how to do it." "Give up thy foolish chatter," said the waggoner. "Come, go with me, I will see about a place for thee." The youth went with the waggoner, and in the evening they arrived at an inn where they wished to pass the night. Then at the entrance of the room the youth again said quite loudly, "If I could but shudder! If I could but shudder!" The host who heard this, laughed and said, "If that is your desire, there ought to be a good opportunity for you here." "Ah, be silent," said the hostess, "so many inquisitive persons have already lost their lives, it would be a pity and a shame if such beautiful eyes as these should never see the daylight again."

But the youth said, "However difficult it may be, I will learn it and for this purpose indeed have I journeyed forth." He let the host have no rest, until the latter told him, that not far from thence stood a haunted castle where any one could very easily learn what shuddering was, if he would but watch in it for three nights. The King had promised that he who would venture should have his daughter to wife, and she was the most beautiful maiden the sun shone on. Great treasures likewise lay in the castle, which were guarded by evil spirits, and these treasures would then be freed, and would make a poor man rich enough. Already many men had gone into the castle, but as yet none had come out again. Then the youth went next morning to the King and said if he were allowed he would watch three nights in the haunted castle. The King looked at him, and as the youth pleased him, he said, "Thou mayest ask for three things to take into the castle with thee, but they must be things without life." Then he answered, "Then I ask for a fire, a turning lathe, and a cutting-board with the knife." The King had these things carried into the castle for him during the day. When night was drawing near, the youth went up and made himself a bright fire in one of the rooms, placed the cutting-board and knife beside it, and seated himself by the turning-lathe. "Ah, if I could but shudder!" said he, "but I shall not learn it here either." Towards midnight he was about to poke his fire, and as he was blowing it, something cried suddenly from one corner, "Au, miau! how cold we are!" "You simpletons!" cried he, "what are you crying about? If you are cold, come and take a seat by the fire and warm yourselves." And when he had said that, two great black cats came with one tremendous leap and sat down on each side of him, and looked savagely at him with their fiery eyes. After a short time, when they had warmed themselves, they said, "Comrade, shall we have a game at cards?" "Why not?" he replied, "but just show me your paws." Then they stretched out their claws. "Oh," said he, "what long nails you have! Wait, I must first cut them for you." Thereupon he seized them by the throats, put them on the cutting-board and screwed their feet fast. "I have looked at your fingers," said he, "and my fancy for card-playing has gone," and he struck them dead and threw them out into the water. But when he had made away with these two, and was about to sit down again by his fire, out from every hole and corner came black cats and black dogs with red-hot chains, and more and more of them came until he could no longer stir, and they yelled horribly, and got on his fire, pulled it to pieces, and tried to put it out. He watched them for a while quietly, but at last when they were going too far, he seized his cutting-knife, and cried, "Away with ye, vermin," and began to cut them down. Part of them ran away, the others he killed, and threw out into the fish-pond. When he came back he fanned the embers of his fire again and warmed himself. And as he thus sat, his eyes would keep open no longer, and he felt a desire to sleep. Then he looked round and saw a great bed in the corner. "That is the very thing for me," said he, and got into it. When he was just going to shut his eyes, however, the bed began to move of its own accord, and went over the whole of the castle. "That"s right," said he, "but go faster." Then the bed rolled on as if six horses were harnessed to it, up and down, over thresholds and steps, but suddenly hop, hop, it turned over upside down, and lay on him like a mountain. But he threw quilts and pillows up in the air, got out and said, "Now any one who likes, may drive," and lay down by his fire, and slept till it was day. In the morning the King came, and when he saw him lying there on the ground, he thought the evil spirits had killed him and he was dead. Then said he, "After all it is a pity, -- he is a handsome man." The youth heard it, got up, and said, "It has not come to that yet." Then the King was astonished, but very glad, and asked how he had fared. "Very well indeed," answered he; "one night is past, the two others will get over likewise." Then he went to the innkeeper, who opened his eyes very wide, and said, "I never expected to see thee alive again! Hast thou learnt how to shudder yet?" "No," said he, "it is all in vain. If some one would but tell me."

The second night he again went up into the old castle, sat down by the fire, and once more began his old song, "If I could but shudder." When midnight came, an uproar and noise of tumbling about was heard; at first it was low, but it grew louder and louder. Then it was quiet for awhile, and at length with a loud scream, half a man came down the chimney and fell before him. "Hollo!" cried he, "another half belongs to this. This is too little!" Then the uproar began again, there was a roaring and howling, and the other half fell down likewise. "Wait," said he, "I will just blow up the fire a little for thee." When he had done that and looked round again, the two pieces were joined together, and a frightful man was sitting in his place. "That is no part of our bargain," said the youth, "the bench is mine." The man wanted to push him away; the youth, however, would not allow that, but thrust him off with all his strength, and seated himself again in his own place. Then still more men fell down, one after the other; they brought nine dead men's legs and two skulls, and set them up and played at nine-pins with them. The youth also wanted to play and said "Hark you, can I join you?" "Yes, if thou hast any money." "Money enough," replied he, "but your balls are not quite round." Then he took the skulls and put them in the lathe and turned them till they were round. "There, now, they will roll better!" said he. "Hurrah! Now it goes merrily!" He played with them and lost some of his money, but when it struck twelve, everything vanished from his sight. He lay down and quietly fell asleep. Next morning the King came to inquire after him. "How has it fared with you this time?" asked he. "I have been playing at nine-pins," he answered, "and have lost a couple of farthings." "Hast thou not shuddered then?" "Eh, what?" said he, "I have made merry. If I did but know what it was to shudder!"

The third night he sat down again on his bench and said quite sadly, "If I could but shudder." When it grew late, six tall men came in and brought a coffin. Then said he, "Ha, ha, that is certainly my little cousin, who died only a few days ago," and he beckoned with his finger, and cried "Come, little cousin, come." They placed the coffin on the ground, but he went to it and took the lid off, and a dead man lay therein. He felt his face, but it was cold as ice. "Stop," said he, "I will warm thee a little," and went to the fire and warmed his hand and laid it on the dead man's face, but he remained cold. Then he took him out, and sat down by the fire and laid him on his breast and rubbed his arms that the blood might circulate again. As this also did no good, he thought to himself "When two people lie in bed together, they warm each other," and carried him to the bed, covered him over and lay down by him. After a short time the dead man became warm too, and began to move. Then said the youth, "See, little cousin, have I not warmed thee?" The dead man, however, got up and cried, "Now will I strangle thee."

"What!" said he, "is that the way thou thankest me? Thou shalt at once go into thy coffin again," and he took him up, threw him into it, and shut the lid. Then came the six men and carried him away again. "I cannot manage to shudder," said he. "I shall never learn it here as long as I live."

Then a man entered who was taller than all others, and looked terrible. He was old, however, and had a long white beard. "Thou wretch," cried he, "thou shalt soon learn what it is to shudder, for thou shalt die." "Not so fast," replied the youth. "If I am to die, I shall have to have a say in it." "I will soon seize thee," said the fiend. "Softly, softly, do not talk so big. I am as strong as thou art, and perhaps even stronger." "We shall see," said the old man. "If thou art stronger, I will let thee go -- come, we will try." Then he led him by dark passages to a smith's forge, took an axe, and with one blow struck an anvil into the ground. "I can do better than that," said the youth, and went to the other anvil. The old man placed himself near and wanted to look on, and his white beard hung down. Then the youth seized the axe, split the anvil with one blow, and struck the old man's beard in with it. "Now I have thee," said the youth. "Now it is thou who will have to die." Then he seized an iron bar and beat the old man till he moaned and entreated him to stop, and he would give him great riches. The youth drew out the axe and let him go. The old man led him back into the castle, and in a cellar showed him three chests full of gold. "Of these," said he, "one part is for the poor, the other for the king, the third is thine." In the meantime it struck twelve, and the spirit disappeared; the youth, therefore, was left in darkness. "I shall still be able to find my way out," said he, and felt about, found the way into the room, and slept there by his fire. Next morning the King came and said "Now thou must have learnt what shuddering is?" "No," he answered; "what can it be? My dead cousin was here, and a bearded man came and showed me a great deal of money down below, but no one told me what it was to shudder." "Then," said the King, "thou hast delivered the castle, and shalt marry my daughter." "That is all very well," said he, "but still I do not know what it is to shudder."

Then the gold was brought up and the wedding celebrated; but howsoever much the young king loved his wife, and however happy he was, he still said always "If I could but shudder -- if I could but shudder." And at last she was angry at this. Her waiting-maid said, "I will find a cure for him; he shall soon learn what it is to shudder." She went out to the stream which flowed through the garden, and had a whole bucketful of gudgeons brought to her. At night when the young king was sleeping, his wife was to draw the clothes off him and empty the bucketful of cold water with the gudgeons in it over him, so that the little fishes would sprawl about him. When this was done, he woke up and cried "Oh, what makes me shudder so? -- what makes me shudder so, dear wife? Ah! now I know what it is to shudder!"

[/b]

[b]

傻小子学害怕

有位父亲,膝下有两个儿子。大儿子聪明伶俐,遇事都能应付自如;小儿子呢,却呆头
呆脑,啥也不懂,还啥也不学,人们看见他时都异口同声地说:“他父亲为他得操多少心
哪!”
遇到有什么事儿要办的时候,总得大儿子出面去办;不过,要是天晚了,或者深更半夜
的时候,父亲还要他去取什么东西的话,而且要路过墓地,或者其它令人毛骨悚然的地方,
他就会回答说:“啊,爸爸,我可不去,我害怕!”他是真的害怕。
晚上,一家人围坐在火炉旁讲故事,讲到令人毛发悚立的时候,听故事的人里就会有人
说:“真可怕呀!”小儿子在这种时候,总是一个人坐在屋角里听他们说话,却怎么也不明
白他们说的是什么意思,于是他常常大声地说:“他们都说,‘我害怕!我害怕!’可我从
来不害怕。我想这一定是一种本领,是一种我完全弄不懂的本领。”
有一天,父亲对他说:“你就呆在角落里,给我听好了。你已经是一个强壮的小伙子
了,也该学点养活自己的本事了。你看你哥哥,多么勤奋好学;你再看看你自己,好话都当
成了耳边风。”
“爸爸,你说的没错,”小儿子回答说,“我非常愿意学点本事。要是办得到的话,我
很想学会害怕,我还一点儿也不会害怕呢。”
哥哥听了这话,哈哈大笑起来,心想,“我的天哪,我弟弟可真是个傻瓜蛋;他一辈子
都没什么指望了。三岁看小,七岁看老嘛。”父亲叹了一口气,对小儿子回答说:“我保
证,你早晚能学会害怕;不过,靠害怕是养活不了自己的。”
过了不多日子,教堂的执事到他们家来作客,于是父亲向他诉说了自己的心事,抱怨他
的小儿子简直傻透了,啥也不会,还啥也不学。他对执事说:“您想一想,我问他将来打算
靠什么来养活自己,他却说要学会害怕。”
执事听了回答说:“如果他想的只是这个的话,那他很快能学会的。让他跟我走好啦,
我替你整治他。”
父亲满口答应,心想,“不论怎么说,这小子这回该长进一点啦。”于是,执事就把小
儿子带回了家,叫他在教堂敲钟。
几天后的一个深夜,执事把小儿子叫醒,要他起床后到教堂钟楼上去敲钟。“这回我要
教教你什么是害怕。”执事心里想着,随后悄悄地先上了钟楼。小儿子来到钟楼,转身去抓
敲钟的绳子的时候,却发现一个白色的人影儿,正对着窗口站在楼梯上。
“那是谁呀?”他大声地问,可是那个影子却不回答,一动不动地站在那儿。
“回话呀!”小伙子扯着嗓子吼道,“要不就给我滚开!深更半夜的你来干啥!”
可是执事呢,仍然一动不动地站在那儿,想叫小伙子以为他是个鬼怪。
小伙子又一次大声吼道:“你想在这儿干啥?说呀,你实话实说,不说我就把你扔到楼
下去。”
执事心想:“他不会那么做”,因此他依然一声不响,一动不动地站在那儿,就像泥塑
木雕的一般。
接着小伙子第三次冲他吼叫,可还是没有一点儿用,于是小伙子猛扑过去,一把将鬼怪
推下了楼梯。鬼怪在楼梯上翻滚了十多级,才躺在墙角不动了。接着小伙子去敲钟,敲完钟
回到了他自己的房间后,一言未发,倒头便睡。
执事的太太左等右等却不见丈夫回来,后来她感到很担忧,就叫醒了小伙子,问他:
“你知不知道我丈夫在哪儿?他在你之前上的钟楼。”
“不知道,”小伙子回答说,“不过,有个人当时对着窗口站在楼梯上。我朝他大吼大
叫,他不答话,也不走开,我想那一定是个坏蛋,就一下子把他从楼梯上推了下去。您去看
看,就知道是不是您丈夫了。要是的话,我非常抱歉。”
执事的太太急匆匆跑了出去,发现她丈夫正躺在墙角,一边呻吟一边叹息,因为他的一
条腿给摔断了。
执事的太太把他背回了家,随后跑去见小伙子的父亲,对着他大喊大叫:“你的那个小
子闯下了大祸。他把我丈夫从钟楼的楼梯上一把给推了下来,腿都摔断了。把这个废物从我
们家领走吧。”
一听这些,父亲惊慌失措,风风火火地跑到执事家,对着儿子破口大骂:“你一定是着
了魔,竟干出这等混账事来!”
“爸爸,”小伙子申辩说,“一点儿都不怪我呀。您听我说:他深更半夜的站在那里,
好像是来干坏事的。我哪里知道那是谁呀!我一连三次大声地告诉他,要么答腔儿,要么走
开。”
“唉!”父亲说道,“你只会给我召灾惹祸。你给我走得远远的,别让我再见到你。”
“好吧,爸爸,”小伙子回答说,“可得等到天亮才成。天一亮,我就去学害怕。起码
我要学会养活自己的本事。”
“你想学啥就去学吧,”父亲说道,“反正对我都是一回事。给你五十个银币,拿着闯
荡世界去吧。记着,跟谁也别说你是从哪儿出去的,你父亲是谁。有你这样一个儿子我脸都
丢光了。”
“那好吧,爸爸,我就照您说的去做好啦。”小伙子回答说,“如果您不再提别的要求
的话,这事太容易办到啦。”
天亮了,小伙子把那五十个银币装进衣袋里,从家中走出来,上了大路。他一边走,一
边不停地自言自语:“我要是会害怕该多好啊!我要是会害怕该多好啊!”
过了不久,有一个人从后面赶了上来,听见了小伙子自言自语时所说的话。他们一块儿
走了一段路程,来到了一个看得见绞架的地方,这个人对小伙子说:“你瞧!那边有棵树,
树上一共吊着七个强盗。你坐在树下,等到天黑了,你准能学会害怕。”
“如果只要我做这个的话,那太容易啦。”小伙子回答说,“要是我真的这么快就学会
了害怕,我这五十个银币就归你啦。明天早晨你再来一趟。”
小伙子说完就朝绞架走去,然后坐在绞架的下面,等着夜幕的降临。他坐在那里感到很
冷,于是就生起了一堆火。可是夜半风起,寒冷难耐,他虽然烤着火,还是感到很冷。寒风
吹得吊着的死尸荡来荡去,相互碰撞。他心想,“我坐在火堆旁还感到挺冷的,那几个可怜
的家伙吊在那里,该多冷呀。”小伙子的心肠可真好:他搭起梯子,然后爬上去,解开了这
些被绞死的强盗身上的绳索,再一个接一个地把他们放下来。接着他把火拨旺,吹了又吹,
使火堆熊熊燃烧起来。然后他把他们抱过来,围着火堆坐了一圈,让他们暖暖身子。可是这
些家伙坐在那里纹丝不动,甚至火烧着了他们的衣服,他们还是一动也不动。于是小伙子对
他们说:“你们在干什么?小心点啊!要不我就把你们再吊上去。”可是这些被绞死的强盗
根本听不见他的话,他们仍然一声不吭,让自己的破衣烂衫被火烧着。
小伙子这下子可真生气了,于是就说:“你们一点儿都不小心,我可帮不了你们啦,我
才不愿意和你们一起让火烧死呢。”说完,他又把他们一个接一个地全都吊了上去。然后,
他在火堆旁坐了下来,不一会儿就睡着了。
第二天清早,那个人来到小伙子面前,想得到他的五十个银币。他对小伙子说:“喂,
我想你现在知道什么是害怕了吧?”
“不知道哇,”小伙子回答说,“我怎样才能知道呢?上边吊着的那些可怜的家伙,怎
么都不开口,个个是傻瓜,身上就穿那么点儿破破烂烂的衣服,烧着了还不在乎。”
听了这话,那个人心里就明白了,他是怎么也赢不到小伙子的五十个银币了,于是,他
就走了,走的时候说道:“我活这么大岁数还从来没有见到过这样的人呢。”
小伙子又上了路,路上又开始嘀嘀咕咕地自言自语:“我要是会害怕该多好啊!我要是
会害怕该多好啊!”
一个从后面赶上来的车夫听见了小伙子的话,就问道:
“你是谁呀?”
“我不知道。”小伙子答道。
车夫接着问道:“你打哪儿来呀?”
“我不知道。”
“你父亲是谁?”
“这我可不能告诉你。”
“你一个劲儿地在嘀咕些啥呢?”
“咳,”小伙子回答说,“我想学会害怕,可没谁能教会我。”
“别说蠢话啦,”车夫说道,“跟我走吧。我先给你找个住的地方。”
小伙子跟着车夫上了路,傍晚时分他们来到了一家小旅店,打定主意要在这儿过夜。他
们进屋时,小伙子又高声大嗓门地说了起来:“我要是会害怕该多好啊!我要是会害怕该多
好啊!”
店主无意中听到了这话,就大声地笑了起来,然后说:
“你要是想这个的话,这里倒是有一个好机会呀。”
“别再说了,”店主的太太说道,“有多少冒失鬼都在那里送了命啊。要是这个小伙子
的那双漂亮的眼睛,再也见不到阳光了,那多可惜呀。”
听了店主太太的这番话,小伙子却说:“我一定要学会,不管多么艰难,我都不在乎。
正是为了这个我才从家里出来闯荡的。”小伙子死缠着店主不放,店主只好告诉他:离小旅
店不远,有一座魔宫,谁要想知道害怕是怎么一回事,只要在那里呆三个夜晚就行了。国王
已经许下诺言,谁愿意到魔宫里一试身手,就把公主许配给谁。那位公主啊,是天底下最最
美丽的少女呢。在魔宫里,藏着大量的金银财宝,由一群恶魔把守着。谁要是能得到这些金
银财宝,就是一个穷光蛋也会成为大富翁的。不少人冒险进到魔宫里去,可是都是有去无还。
第二天早晨,小伙子去见国王,他对国王说:“如果能得到您的允许,我很高兴到魔宫
里去守夜三天。”
国王对小伙子上下打量了一番,觉得他挺不错的,就回答说:“你可以去,你还可以要
三样东西带到魔宫里去,但必须是无生命的东西。”
“那么,”小伙子回答说,“我就要一把火、一个木匠工作台,还要一台带刀的车床。”
国王吩咐把小伙子所要的东西在白天搬深到魔宫里去。黄昏时分,小伙子走进魔宫,在
一个房间里生起了一堆熊熊燃烧的大火,把木匠工作台和车刀放在火堆旁边,自己则靠着车
床坐下。“我要是会害怕该多好啊!”他说道,“没准在这儿我还是学不会害怕。”
快到半夜的时候,小伙子打算往火堆里添柴,好让火烧得旺些。正当他使劲儿吹火的时
候,突然听到从房间的一个角落里传来的叫声:“喵儿,喵儿,我们好冷啊!”
“你们这帮笨蛋,”小伙子说道,“喵喵地叫喊个啥?要是真冷,就坐过来烤烤火。”
他话音刚落,就一下子跳过来两只大黑猫,在他身旁坐下,一边坐一只,瞪大眼睛恶狠
狠地盯着他。过了一会儿,两只黑猫烤暖和了,就对小伙子说:“伙计,咱们一起打牌怎么
样?”
“那敢情好,”小伙子回答说,“不过呀,得先让我看看你们的爪子。”两只黑猫果真
把爪子伸了过来。
“哎呀呀,你们的指甲好长啊!”小伙子大声说道,“等一下,我来给你们剪一剪吧。”
小伙子说着就掐住它们的脖子,把它们放在木匠工作台上,牢牢地夹住它们的爪子。然
后他说:“我已经看过你们的爪子了,我不喜欢和你们打牌。”说完,他把两只黑猫给打死
了,扔到了外面的水池里。
可是,他刚刚收拾了这两只黑猫,准备回到火边坐下的时候,从房间的各个角落、各个
洞穴又钻出成群的黑猫和黑狗,还拖着烧得火红的链子,而且越来越多,多得连小伙子藏身
的地方都没有了。这些黑猫黑狗尖叫着,声音非常吓人,接着它们在火堆上踩来踩去,把火
堆上燃烧的柴火拖得到处都是,想将火弄灭。起先,小伙子一声不吭地忍受着它们的恶作
剧,可等到它们闹得太不像话了,他一把抓起车刀来,大声喝道:“都给我滚开,你们这帮
流氓!”说着他就开始左劈右砍。有的猫狗逃之夭夭,没逃掉的就被他砍死了,扔进了外面
的水池里。
他回屋后,把余烬吹了又吹,使火重新熊熊燃烧起来,然后坐在火边暖和暖和身子。他
这样做着坐着,眼睛渐渐地就睁不开了,他很想睡上一觉。他环顾四周,发现角落里有一张
大床。“这正是我需要的东西。”他说道,然后就躺了上去。谁知他刚要合眼,大床却开始
移动,接着在魔宫中到处滚动。
“接着滚,挺好的,”小伙子喊叫着说,“想滚多快都行啊。”话音刚落,大床就像有
六匹马拉着似的,上下翻腾,飞也似的向前滚动,越过一道道门槛,翻越一段段楼梯。忽然
间,轰隆一声巨响,大床翻了个个儿,来了一个底朝天,像一座大山一样压在了小伙子的身
上。可小伙子把床垫枕头什么的猛地一掀,就钻了出来,然后说道:“现在谁想乘坐,就请
便吧。”
说完他便躺在火堆旁,一觉睡到大天亮。
第二天早上,国王驾到。国王看见小伙子躺在地上,以为他丧生于鬼怪,确实死了,国
王于是长吁短叹,说道:“多可惜啊!多帅的小伙子啊!”
小伙子听到这话,一跃而起,说道:“还没到这份儿上!”
国王见此情景又惊又喜,问他情况如何。
“很好,”小伙子回答说,“已经过去了一夜,另外两夜也会过去的。”
小伙子回到旅店,店主惊得目瞪口呆。他对小伙子说:
“我以为再也见不到你了。你学会害怕了吗?”
“还没有呢,”小伙子回答说,“完全是白费力气。要是有谁能教我学会害怕就好啦!”
第二天晚上,小伙子又走进古老的魔宫。他在火堆旁坐下来之后,又开始老调重弹:
“我要是会害怕该多好啊!”
时近午夜,小伙子听见一片嘈杂声,由远及近,越来越响,随后又安静了一小会儿,接
着顺着烟囱跌跌撞撞下来一个半截人,一步跨到小伙子的面前。“喂,”小伙子说,“还得
有半截才行,这成什么样子!”
说完,嘈杂声又响了起来。随着一阵喧嚣,另半截身子也摇摇晃晃地落了下来。“等一
等,”小伙子说,“我把火吹旺一点。”
当小伙子把火吹旺了,转过头来时,那两个半截身子已经合在了一起,变成了一个面目
狰狞可怕的家伙,正端坐在小伙子的座位上。
“我可没这个意思,”小伙子大声地嚷嚷说,“那座位是我的。”
那个家伙想把小伙子推开,可小伙子怎么会答应呢,一用劲儿把那家伙推开,重又坐在
自己的座位上。随后,越来越多这样的家伙从烟囱落到地面,他们随身带着九根大骨头和两
个骷髅,把骨头立在地上就玩起了撞柱游戏。小伙子一见心里痒痒的,也想玩这种游戏,于
是就问他们:“喂,算我一个好吗?”
“好哇,”他们回答说,“有钱就来玩。”
“钱我有的是,”小伙子回答说,“不过你们的球不太圆。”
说完他就抓起骷髅,放在车床上把骷髅车圆了。
“圆啦,”小伙子喊叫着说,“这回就滚得更顺溜啦。我们会玩得很痛快!”
小伙子和他们一块儿玩了起来,结果输了一些钱。说也奇怪,午夜十二点的钟声响起
时,眼前的一切消失得无影无踪。于是小伙子默默地躺下睡觉。
第三天晚上,小伙子又坐在工作台上,心情烦躁地叨咕:
“我要是会害怕该多好啊!”
话音刚落,突然走进来一个高大的男人,个头比小伙子见过的任何人都高,样子特别可
怕。他已上了年纪,留着长长的白胡子。
“嘿,淘气鬼!”他吼叫道,“你马上就学会害怕啦!你死到临头啦!”“没那么容易
吧,”小伙子回答说,“要我死,先得我答应。”
“我这就宰了你。”这个恶魔咆哮道。
“忙什么,忙什么,”小伙子对他说,“别尽吹牛皮。我觉得我和你的劲一样大,或许
比你的劲还要大。”
“那咱们较量较量。”老头儿大叫道,“要是你比我劲大,我就放你走。过来,咱们比
试比试吧。”
他领着小伙子穿过黑乎乎的通道,来到一座铁匠炉前。老头儿举起一把斧头,猛地一
下,就把一个铁砧砸进了地里。
“我会干得比这更漂亮。”小伙子一边说着一边朝另一个铁砧走过去。老头儿站在一旁
观看,白花花的胡子垂在胸前。小伙子一把抓起斧头,一斧就把铁砧劈成两半,还把老头儿
的胡子紧紧地楔了进去。
“这下我可逮住你啦,”小伙子大叫道,“是你死到临头啦!”
说着小伙子顺手抓起一根铁棍,对着老家伙就乱打起来,打得他鬼哭狼嚎,央求小伙子
住手,并告诉小伙子说,如果他住手,他会得到一大笔财富。于是小伙子将斧头拔了出来,
放开了老家伙的长胡子。
老头儿领着小伙子回到魔宫,给他看了三只大箱子,箱子里装满了黄金。“一箱给穷
人,”他说道,“一箱给国王,另一箱就是你的了。”
正说着话的当儿,午夜十二点的钟声敲响了,这个老妖怪一下子就无影无踪了,只剩下
小伙子一个人站在黑夜之中。
“我自己能离开这个地方。”小伙子说道,说完就开始在四周摸索,终于找到了回房间
的路。回到房间后,他就在火堆旁睡着了。
次日早上,国王再次驾到,问小伙子:“我想这回你终于学会害怕了吧?”
“没有,真的没有,”小伙子回答说,“害怕到底是怎么回事呢?来了一个白胡子老头
儿,让我看了好多金子,可他并没告诉我害怕是怎么回事啊!”
“好吧,”国王对小伙子说,“既然你解除了宫殿的魔法,你就娶我的女儿为妻吧。”
“那可真是太好啦。”小伙子回答说,“可我现在还是不明白害怕到底是怎么回事啊!”
黄金被取出来后,就举行了婚礼。小伙子非常爱他的妻子,感到生活无比幸福,可是他
仍然不停地唠叨:“我要是会害怕该多好啊!我要是会害怕该多好啊!”对此他年轻的妻子
终于恼火了,于是她的贴身丫环对她说,“我来想个办法,准叫他学会害怕。”
说罢她来到流经花园的小溪边,让人把满满一桶虾虎鱼放到屋里,然后告诉她的女主
人,等到她丈夫夜里熟睡时,把被子掀开,再把桶里的鱼和水一古脑倒在他身上,这样一
来,虾虎鱼就会在他全身乱蹦乱跳。
果然小伙子一下子就惊醒了,大喊大叫:“我害怕!哎呀,哎呀!到底是什么使我害怕
的呀?亲爱的,这下我可知道害怕是怎么回事啦!”
------------------

[/b]

[b]

5 /The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids
There was once upon a time an old goat who had seven little kids, and loved them with all the love of a mother for her children. One day she wanted to go into the forest and fetch some food. So she called all seven to her and said, "Dear children, I have to go into the forest, be on your guard against the wolf; if he come in, he will devour you all -- skin, hair, and all. The wretch often disguises himself, but you will know him at once by his rough voice and his black feet." The kids said, "Dear mother, we will take good care of ourselves; you may go away without any anxiety." Then the old one bleated, and went on her way with an easy mind.
It was not long before some one knocked at the house-door and called, "Open the door, dear children; your mother is here, and has brought something back with her for each of you." But the little kids knew that it was the wolf, by the rough voice; "We will not open the door," cried they, "thou art not our mother. She has a soft, pleasant voice, but thy voice is rough; thou art the wolf!" Then the wolf went away to a shopkeeper and bought himself a great lump of chalk, ate this and made his voice soft with it. The he came back, knocked at the door of the house, and cried, "Open the door, dear children, your mother is here and has brought something back with her for each of you." But the wolf had laid his black paws against the window, and the children saw them and cried, "We will not open the door, our mother has not black feet like thee; thou art the wolf." Then the wolf ran to a baker and said, "I have hurt my feet, rub some dough over them for me." And when the baker had rubbed his feet over, he ran to the miller and said, "Strew some white meal over my feet for me." The miller thought to himself, "The wolf wants to deceive someone," and refused; but the wolf said, "If thou wilt not do it, I will devour thee." Then the miller was afraid, and made his paws white for him. Truly men are like that.

So now the wretch went for the third time to the house-door, knocked at it and said, "Open the door for me, children, your dear little mother has come home, and has brought every one of you something back from the forest with her." The little kids cried, "First show us thy paws that we may know if thou art our dear little mother." Then he put his paws in through the window, and when the kids saw that they were white, they believed that all he said was true, and opened the door. But who should come in but the wolf! They were terrified and wanted to hide themselves. One sprang under the table, the second into the bed, the third into the stove, the fourth into the kitchen, the fifth into the cupboard, the sixth under the washing-bowl, and the seventh into the clock-case. But the wolf found them all, and used no great ceremony; one after the other he swallowed them down his throat. The youngest, who was in the clock-case, was the only one he did not find. When the wolf had satisfied his appetite he took himself off, laid himself down under a tree in the green meadow outside, and began to sleep. Soon afterwards the old goat came home again from the forest. Ah! What a sight she saw there! The house-door stood wide open. The table, chairs, and benches were thrown down, the washing-bowl lay broken to pieces, and the quilts and pillows were pulled off the bed. She sought her children, but they were nowhere to be found. She called them one after another by name, but no one answered. At last, when she came to the youngest, a soft voice cried, "Dear mother, I am in the clock-case." She took the kid out, and it told her that the wolf had come and had eaten all the others. Then you may imagine how she wept over her poor children.

At length in her grief she went out, and the youngest kid ran with her. When they came to the meadow, there lay the wolf by the tree and snored so loud that the branches shook. She looked at him on every side and saw that something was moving and struggling in his gorged belly. "Ah, heavens," said she, "is it possible that my poor children whom he has swallowed down for his supper, can be still alive?" Then the kid had to run home and fetch scissors, and a needle and thread, and the goat cut open the monster's stomach, and hardly had she make one cut, than one little kid thrust its head out, and when she cut farther, all six sprang out one after another, and were all still alive, and had suffered no injury whatever, for in his greediness the monster had swallowed them down whole. What rejoicing there was! They embraced their dear mother, and jumped like a sailor at his wedding. The mother, however, said, "Now go and look for some big stones, and we will fill the wicked beast's stomach with them while he is still asleep." Then the seven kids dragged the stones thither with all speed, and put as many of them into his stomach as they could get in; and the mother sewed him up again in the greatest haste, so that he was not aware of anything and never once stirred.

When the wolf at length had had his sleep out, he got on his legs, and as the stones in his stomach made him very thirsty, he wanted to go to a well to drink. But when he began to walk and move about, the stones in his stomach knocked against each other and rattled. Then cried he,

"What rumbles and tumbles
Against my poor bones?
I thought 't was six kids,
But it's naught but big stones."
And when he got to the well and stooped over the water and was just about to drink, the heavy stones made him fall in, and there was no help, but he had to drown miserably. When the seven kids saw that, they came running to the spot and cried aloud, "The wolf is dead! The wolf is dead!" and danced for joy round about the well with their mother.

[/b]

[b]

狼和七只小山羊

从前有只老山羊。它生了七只小山羊,并且像所有母亲爱孩子一样爱它们。一天,它要
到森林里去取食物,便把七个孩子全叫过来,对它们说:“亲爱的孩子们,我要到森林里去
一下,你们一定要提防狼。要是让狼进屋,它会把你们全部吃掉的――连皮带毛通通吃光。
这个坏蛋常常把自己化装成别的样子,但是,你们只要一听到他那粗哑的声音、一看到它那
黑黑的爪子,就能认出它来。”小山羊们说:“好妈妈,我们会当心的。你去吧,不用担
心。”老山羊咩咩地叫了几声,便放心地去了。
没过多久,有人敲门,而且大声说:“开门哪,我的好孩子。你们的妈妈回来了,还给
你们每个人带来了一点东西。”可是,小山羊们听到粗哑的声音,立刻知道是狼来了。“我
们不开门,”它们大声说,“你不是我们的妈妈。我们的妈妈说话时声音又软又好听,而你
的声音非常粗哑,你是狼!”于是,狼跑到杂货商那里,买了一大块白垩土,吃了下去,结
果嗓子变细了。然后它又回来敲山羊家的门,喊道:“开门哪,我的好孩子。你们的妈妈回
来了,给你们每个人都带了点东西。”可是狼把它的黑爪子搭在了窗户上,小山羊们看到黑
爪子便一起叫道:“我们不开门。我们的妈妈没有你这样的黑爪子。你是狼!”于是狼跑到
面包师那里,对他说:“我的脚受了点伤,给我用面团揉一揉。”等面包师用面团给它揉过
之后,狼又跑到磨坊主那里,对他说:“在我的脚上洒点白面粉。”磨坊主想:“狼肯定是
想去骗什么人”,便拒绝了它的要求。可是狼说:“要是你不给我洒面粉,我就把你吃
掉。”磨坊主害怕了,只好洒了点面粉,把狼的爪子弄成了白色。人就是这个德行!
这个坏蛋第三次跑到山羊家,一面敲门一面说:“开门哪,孩子们。你们的好妈妈回来
了,还从森林里给你们每个人带回来一些东西。”小山羊们叫道:“你先把脚给我们看看,
好让我们知道你是不是我们的妈妈。”狼把爪子伸进窗户,小山羊们看到爪子是白的,便相
信它说的是真话,打开了屋门。然而进来的是狼!小山羊们吓坏了,一个个都想躲起来。第
一只小山羊跳到了桌子下,第二只钻进了被子,第三只躲到了炉子里,第四只跑进了厨房,
第五只藏在柜子里,第六只挤在洗脸盆下,第七只爬进了钟盒里。狼把它们一个个都找了出
来,毫不客气地把它们全都吞进了肚子。只有躲在钟盒里的那只最小的山羊没有被狼发现。
狼吃饱了之后,心满意足地离开了山羊家,来到绿草地上的一棵大树下,躺下身子开始呼呼
大睡起来。
没过多久,老山羊从森林里回来了。啊!它都看到了些什么呀!屋门敞开着,桌子、椅
子和凳子倒在地上,洗脸盆摔成了碎片,被子和枕头掉到了地上。它找它的孩子,可哪里也
找不到。它一个个地叫它们的名字,可是没有一个出来答应它。最后,当它叫到最小的山羊
的名字时,一个细细的声音喊叫道:“好妈妈,我在钟盒里。”老山羊把它抱了出来,它告
诉妈妈狼来过了,并且把哥哥姐姐们都吃掉了。大家可以想象出老山羊失去孩子后哭得多么
伤心!
老山羊最后伤心地哭着走了出去,最小的山羊也跟着跑了出去。当它们来到草地上时,
狼还躺在大树下睡觉,呼噜声震得树枝直抖。老山羊从前后左右打量着狼,看到那家伙鼓得
老高的肚子里有什么东西在动个不停。“天哪,”它说,“我的那些被它吞进肚子里当晚餐
的可怜的孩子,难道它们还活着吗?”最小的山羊跑回家,拿来了剪刀和针线。老山羊剪开
那恶魔的肚子,刚剪了第一刀,一只小羊就把头探了出来。它继续剪下去,六只小羊一个个
都跳了出来,全都活着,而且一点也没有受伤,因为那贪婪的坏蛋是把它们整个吞下去的。
这是多么令人开心的事啊!它们拥抱自己的妈妈,像当新娘的裁缝一样高兴得又蹦又跳。可
是羊妈妈说:“你们去找些大石头来。我们趁这坏蛋还没有醒过来,把石头装到它的肚子里
去。”七只小山羊飞快地拖来很多石头,拼命地往狼肚子里塞;然后山羊妈妈飞快地把狼肚
皮缝好,结果狼一点也没有发觉,它根本都没有动弹。
狼终于睡醒了。它站起身,想到井边去喝水,因为肚子里装着的石头使它口渴得要死。
可它刚一迈脚,肚子里的石头便互相碰撞,发出哗啦哗啦的响声。它叫道:
“是什么东西,
在碰撞我的骨头?
我以为是六只小羊,
可怎么感觉像是石头?”
它到了井边,弯腰去喝水,可沉重的石头压得它掉进了井里,淹死了。七只小山羊看到
后,全跑到这里来叫道:“狼死了!狼死了!”它们高兴地和妈妈一起围着水井跳起舞来。
------------------

[/b]

[b]

6 / Faithful John

There was once on a time an old king who was ill, and thought to himself, "I am lying on what must be my death-bed." Then said he, " Tell Faithful John to come to me." Faithful John was his favourite servant, and was so called, because he had for his whole life long been so true to him. When therefore he came beside the bed, the King said to him, "Most faithful John, I feel my end approaching, and have no anxiety except about my son. He is still of tender age, and cannot always know how to guide himself. If thou dost not promise me to teach him everything that he ought to know, and to be his foster-father, I cannot close my eyes in peace." Then answered Faithful John, "I will not forsake him, and will serve him with fidelity, even if it should cost me my life." On this, the old King said, "Now I die in comfort and peace." Then he added, "After my death, thou shalt show him the whole castle: all the chambers, halls, and vaults, and all the treasures which lie therein, but the last chamber in the long gallery, in which is the picture of the princess of the Golden Dwelling, shalt thou not show. If he sees that picture, he will fall violently in love with her, and will drop down in a swoon, and go through great danger for her sake, therefore thou must preserve him from that." And when Faithful John had once more given his promise to the old King about this, the King said no more, but laid his head on his pillow, and died.
When the old King had been carried to his grave, Faithful John told the young King all that he had promised his father on his deathbed, and said, "This will I assuredly perform, and will be faithful to thee as I have been faithful to him, even if it should cost me my life." When the mourning was over, Faithful John said to him, "It is now time that thou shouldst see thine inheritance. I will show thee thy father's palace." Then he took him about everywhere, up and down, and let him see all the riches, and the magnificent apartments, only there was one room which he did not open, that in which hung the dangerous picture. The picture was, however, so placed that when the door was opened you looked straight on it, and it was so admirably painted that it seemed to breathe and live, and there was nothing more charming or more beautiful in the whole world. The young King, however, plainly remarked that Faithful John always walked past this one door, and said, "Why dost thou never open this one for me?" "There is something within it," he replied, "which would terrify thee." But the King answered, "I have seen all the palace, and I will know what is in this room also," and he went and tried to break open the door by force. Then Faithful John held him back and said, "I promised thy father before his death that thou shouldst not see that which is in this chamber, it might bring the greatest misfortune on thee and on me." "Ah, no," replied the young King, "if I do not go in, it will be my certain destruction. I should have no rest day or night until I had seen it with my own eyes. I shall not leave the place now until thou hast unlocked the door."

Then Faithful John saw that there was no help for it now, and with a heavy heart and many sighs, sought out the key from the great bunch. When he had opened the door, he went in first, and thought by standing before him he could hide the portrait so that the King should not see it in front of him, but what availed that? The King stood on tip-toe and saw it over his shoulder. And when he saw the portrait of the maiden, which was so magnificent and shone with gold and precious stones, he fell fainting to the ground. Faithful John took him up, carried him to his bed, and sorrowfully thought, "The misfortune has befallen us, Lord God, what will be the end of it?" Then he strengthened him with wine, until he came to himself again. The first words the King said were, "Ah, the beautiful portrait! whose it it?" "That is the princess of the Golden Dwelling," answered Faithful John. Then the King continued, "My love for her is so great, that if all the leaves on all the trees were tongues, they could not declare it. I will give my life to win her. Thou art my most Faithful John, thou must help me."

The faithful servant considered within himself for a long time how to set about the matter, for it was difficult even to obtain a sight of the King's daughter. At length he thought of a way, and said to the King, "Everything which she has about her is of gold -- tables, chairs, dishes, glasses, bowls, and household furniture. Among thy treasures are five tons of gold; let one of the goldsmiths of the Kingdom work these up into all manner of vessels and utensils, into all kinds of birds, wild beasts and strange animals, such as may please her, and we will go there with them and try our luck."

The King ordered all the goldsmiths to be brought to him, and they had to work night and day until at last the most splendid things were prepared. When everything was stowed on board a ship, Faithful John put on the dress of a merchant, and the King was forced to do the same in order to make himself quite unrecognizable. Then they sailed across the sea, and sailed on until they came to the town wherein dwelt the princess of the Golden Dwelling.

Faithful John bade the King stay behind on the ship, and wait for him. "Perhaps I shall bring the princess with me," said he, "therefore see that everything is in order; have the golden vessels set out and the whole ship decorated." Then he gathered together in his apron all kinds of gold things, went on shore and walked straight to the royal palace. When he entered the courtyard of the palace, a beautiful girl was standing there by the well with two golden buckets in her hand, drawing water with them. And when she was just turning round to carry away the sparkling water she saw the stranger, and asked who he was. So he answered, "I am a merchant," and opened his apron, and let her look in. Then she cried, "Oh, what beautiful gold things!" and put her pails down and looked at the golden wares one after the other. Then said the girl, "The princess must see these, she has such great pleasure in golden things, that she will buy all you have." She took him by the hand and led him upstairs, for she was the waiting-maid. When the King's daughter saw the wares, she was quite delighted and said, "They are so beautifully worked, that I will buy them all of thee." But Faithful John said, "I am only the servant of a rich merchant. The things I have here are not to be compared with those my master has in his ship. They are the most beautiful and valuable things that have ever been made in gold." She wanted to have everything brought to her there, but he said, "There are so many of them that it would take a great many days to do that, and so many rooms would be required to exhibit them, that your house is not big enough." Then her curiosity and longing were still more excited, until at last she said, "Conduct me to the ship, I will go there myself, and behold the treasures of thine master."

On this Faithful John was quite delighted, and led her to the ship, and when the King saw her, he perceived that her beauty was even greater than the picture had represented it to be, and thought no other than that his heart would burst in twain. Then she got into the ship, and the King led her within. Faithful John, however, remained behind with the pilot, and ordered the ship to be pushed off, saying, "Set all sail, till it fly like a bird in air." Within, however, the King showed her the golden vessels, every one of them, also the wild beasts and strange animals. Many hours went by whilst she was seeing everything, and in her delight she did not observe that the ship was sailing away. After she had looked at the last, she thanked the merchant and wanted to go home, but when she came to the side of the ship, she saw that it was on the deep sea far from land, and hurrying onwards with all sail set. "Ah," cried she in her alarm, "I am betrayed! I am carried away and have fallen into the power of a merchant -- I would die rather!" The King, however, seized her hand, and said, "I am not a merchant. I am a king, and of no meaner origin than thou art, and if I have carried thee away with subtlety, that has come to pass because of my exceeding great love for thee. The first time that I looked on thy portrait, I fell fainting to the ground." When the princess of the Golden Dwelling heard that, she was comforted, and her heart was inclined unto him, so that she willingly consented to be his wife.

It so happened, however, while they were sailing onwards over the deep sea, that Faithful John, who was sitting on the fore part of the vessel, making music, saw three ravens in the air, which came flying towards them. On this he stopped playing and listened to what they were saying to each other, for that he well understood. One cried, "Oh, there he is carrying home the princess of the Golden Dwelling." "Yes," replied the second, "but he has not got her yet." Said the third, "But he has got her, she is sitting beside him in the ship." Then the first began again, and cried, "What good will that do him? When they reach land a chestnut horse will leap forward to meet him, and the prince will want to mount it, but if he does that, it will run away with him, and rise up into the air with him, and he will never see his maiden more." Spake the second, "But is there no escape?"

"Oh, yes, if any one else gets on it swiftly, and takes out the pistol which must be in its holster, and shoots the horse dead with it, the young King is saved. But who knows that? And whosoever does know it, and tells it to him, will be turned to stone from the toe to the knee." Then said the second, "I know more than that; even if the horse be killed, the young King will still not keep his bride. When they go into the castle together, a wrought bridal garment will be lying there in a dish, and looking as if it were woven of gold and silver; it is, however, nothing but sulphur and pitch, and if he put it on, it will burn him to the very bone and marrow." Said the third, "Is there no escape at all?"

"Oh, yes," replied the second, "if any one with gloves on seizes the garment and throws it into the fire and burns it, the young King will be saved. "But what avails that?" Whosoever knows it and tells it to him, half his body will become stone from the knee to the heart."

Then said the third, "I know still more; even if the bridal garment be burnt, the young King will still not have his bride. After the wedding, when the dancing begins and the young queen is dancing, she will suddenly turn pale and fall down as if dead, and if some one does not lift her up and draw three drops of blood from her right breast and spit them out again, she will die. But if any one who knows that were to declare it, he would become stone from the crown of his head to the sole of his foot." When the ravens had spoken of this together, they flew onwards, and Faithful John had well understood everything, but from that time forth he became quiet and sad, for if he concealed what he had heard from his master, the latter would be unfortunate, and if he discovered it to him, he himself must sacrifice his life. At length, however, he said to himself, "I will save my master, even if it bring destruction on myself."

When therefore they came to shore, all happened as had been foretold by the ravens, and a magnificent chestnut horse sprang forward. "Good," said the King, "he shall carry me to my palace," and was about to mount it when Faithful John got before him, jumped quickly on it, drew the pistol out of the holster, and shot the horse. Then the other attendants of the King, who after all were not very fond of Faithful John, cried, "How shameful to kill the beautiful animal, that was to have carried the King to his palace." But the King said, "Hold your peace and leave him alone, he is my most faithful John, who knows what may be the good of that!" They went into the palace, and in the hall there stood a dish, and therein lay the bridal garment looking no otherwise than as if it were made of gold and silver. The young King went towards it and was about to take hold of it, but Faithful John pushed him away, seized it with gloves on, carried it quickly to the fire and burnt it. The other attendants again began to murmur, and said, "Behold, now he is even burning the King's bridal garment!" But the young King said, "Who knows what good he may have done, leave him alone, he is my most faithful John."

And now the wedding was solemnized: the dance began, and the bride also took part in it; then Faithful John was watchful and looked into her face, and suddenly she turned pale and fell to the ground, as if she were dead. On this he ran hastily to her, lifted her up and bore her into a chamber -- then he laid her down, and knelt and sucked the three drops of blood from her right breast, and spat them out. Immediately she breathed again and recovered herself, but the young King had seen this, and being ignorant why Faithful John had done it, was angry and cried, "Throw him into a dungeon." Next morning Faithful John was condemned, and led to the gallows, and when he stood on high, and was about to be executed, he said, "Every one who has to die is permitted before his end to make one last speech; may I too claim the right?" "Yes," answered the King, "it shall be granted unto thee." Then said Faithful John, "I am unjustly condemned, and have always been true to thee," and he related how he had hearkened to the conversation of the ravens when on the sea, and how he had been obliged to do all these things in order to save his master. Then cried the King, "Oh, my most Faithful John. Pardon, pardon -- bring him down." But as Faithful John spoke the last word he had fallen down lifeless and become a stone.

Thereupon the King and the Queen suffered great anguish, and the King said, "Ah, how ill I have requited great fidelity!" and ordered the stone figure to be taken up and placed in his bedroom beside his bed. And as often as he looked on it he wept and said, "Ah, if I could bring thee to life again, my most faithful John." Some time passed and the Queen bore twins, two sons who grew fast and were her delight. Once when the Queen was at church and the two children were sitting playing beside their father, the latter full of grief again looked at the stone figure, sighed and said, "Ah, if I could but bring thee to life again, my most faithful John." Then the stone began to speak and said, "Thou canst bring me to life again if thou wilt use for that purpose what is dearest to thee." Then cried the King, "I will give everything I have in the world for thee." The stone continued, "If thou wilt will cut off the heads of thy two children with thine own hand, and sprinkle me with their blood, I shall be restored to life."

The King was terrified when he heard that he himself must kill his dearest children, but he thought of faithful John's great fidelity, and how he had died for him, drew his sword, and with his own hand cut off the children's heads. And when he had smeared the stone with their blood, life returned to it, and Faithful John stood once more safe and healthy before him. He said to the King, "Thy truth shall not go unrewarded," and took the heads of the children, put them on again, and rubbed the wounds with their blood, on which they became whole again immediately, and jumped about, and went on playing as if nothing had happened. Then the King was full of joy, and when he saw the Queen coming he hid Faithful John and the two children in a great cupboard. When she entered, he said to her, "Hast thou been praying in the church?" "Yes," answered she, "but I have constantly been thinking of Faithful John and what misfortune has befallen him through us." Then said he, "Dear wife, we can give him his life again, but it will cost us our two little sons, whom we must sacrifice." The Queen turned pale, and her heart was full of terror, but she said, "We owe it to him, for his great fidelity." Then the King was rejoiced that she thought as he had thought, and went and opened the cupboard, and brought forth Faithful John and the children, and said, "God be praised, he is delivered, and we have our little sons again also," and told her how everything had occurred. Then they dwelt together in much happiness until their death.

[/b]

[b]

忠实的约翰

很久以前,有个老国王生了重病,当他意识到自己剩下的时间已经不多时,就对身边的
人说:“传忠实的约翰进来见我。”忠实的约翰是一个仆人,老国王之所以这样称呼他,是
因为他侍候国王很久了,而且非常忠诚可靠,也最受老国王喜爱。当约翰来到床边时,国王
说道:“我忠实的约翰,我知道自己不行了。现在我放不下心的就是我的儿子,他还小,需
要良师益友的辅助,除了你,我没有什么好托付的朋友了。如果你不发誓把他应该懂得的东
西教给他,做他的干爹,我不能安然瞑目。”听到这些话,约翰说道:“我决不会离他而
去,我一定忠实地辅助他,即使献出我的生命也在所不惜。”国王欣然说道:“现在我就放
心了。我死后,你领着他把整座王宫的所有房间和库房,包括房子里的所有财宝看一遍。但
要注意,有一间房子不能让他进去,就是那间挂有金屋公主画像的房间。如果他进去看了,
就会深深地爱上她,并会因此而陷入万劫不复的险境。你千万要负起这个责任来。”当忠实
的约翰再一次问老国王发誓以后,老国王安然地躺在枕头上死去了。
老国王被安葬之后,忠实的约翰把老国王临终前的一切嘱托和自己的誓言都告诉了年青
的国王,并说道:“我一定会忠实地执行自己的诺言,对你就像对你的父亲一样忠诚不二,
即使献出自己的生命也在所不辞。”年青的国王哭泣着说:
“我永远也不会忘记你的忠心。”
丧事办完以后,忠实的约翰对他的小主人说:“现在你应该看看你所继承的财产了,我
带你去你父亲的宫殿里看看吧。”接着他引导小主人在王宫上上下下的各个地方都巡视了一
遍,让他看过了所有的财富和豪华的房厅,唯独挂着图像的那间房子没有打开。因为,那里
面挂着的画像只要门一打开就看得见。那画像画得实在是太美了,让人看了会有种呼之欲出
的感觉,世界上再也没有什么东西比画上的女子更可爱、更美丽了。年青的国王发现忠实的
约翰总是直接走过这间房子,却并不打开房门,就问道:“你为什么不打开这间房子呢?”
他回答说:“里面有会使你感到恐惧的东西。”但国王说:“我已把整个王宫看完了,也想
知道这里面是什么。”说完,他走上去用力要打开那扇房门,可忠实的约翰拉着他的后背
说:“在你父亲临终前我发过誓,无论如何也不能让你走进这间房子,否则你和我都会大难
临头的。”年青的国王固执地说道:“对我来说,最大的不幸就是不能进去看看,只要没有
进去看,我就会日夜不得安宁,所以你不打开它,我就不走。”
忠实的约翰看到他再怎么劝说,年青的国王就是不肯离去,心里有了不祥的预感,沉重
地叹了叹气,从一大串钥匙中找出一片钥匙,打开了这个房子的门。门一打开,约翰便先走
了进去,站在了国王和画像之间,希望能挡着画像不让国王看见,但年青的国王却踮着脚尖
从他的肩头看过去,一下子就看到了公主的肖像。目睹画上穿金戴银的少女如此美丽动人、
娇艳妩媚的容貌,他心情激动极了,竟马上倒在楼板上昏了过去。忠实的约翰赶紧将他扶
起,把他抱到他自己的床上,心里一个劲地想:“唉――!不幸已经降临在我们的头上,上
帝啊!这可怎么办呢?”
经过努力,国王才好不容易被救醒,但他说的第一句话就是:“那美丽画像上的少女是
谁呀?”忠实的约翰回答说:“那是金屋国王女儿的画像。”国王又继续问道:“我太爱她
了,就是树上的叶子全部变成我的舌头也难以诉说我对她的爱恋。我要去找她!哪怕是冒着
生命危险也要去找她!你是我忠实的朋友,你必须帮助我。”
对于如何来帮助年青的国王,满足他的愿望,约翰思考了很久,最后他对国王说:“据
传说,她周围的一切用具都是金子做的:桌子、凳子、杯子、碟子和屋子里的所有东西都是
金质的,并且她还在不停地寻求新的财宝。你现在贮藏了许多金子,找一些工匠把这些金子
做成各种容器和珍禽异兽,然后我们带着这些财宝去碰碰运气吧。”于是,国王下令找来了
所有技艺高超的金匠,他们夜以继日地用金子赶制各种工艺品,终于把金子都做成了最漂亮
的珍玩。忠实的约翰把它们都装上一条大船,他和国王都换上商人的服饰,这样别人也就不
可能认出他们了。
一切准备停当后,他们扬帆出海了。经过昼夜不停的航行,他们终于找到了金屋国王管
辖的领地。船靠岸后,忠实的约翰要国王待在船上等着他回来,他说:“或许我有可能把金
屋公主带来,因此,你们要把船内收拾整齐,将金器珍玩摆设出来,整条船都要用它们装饰
起来。”接着他把每样金制品都拿了一个放进篮子里,上岸向王宫走去。
当他来到城堡的大院时,看见一口井边站着一个漂亮的少女,她正提着两只金桶在井里
打水。就在少女担着金光闪闪的水桶转过身时,她也看到了这个陌生人,她问他是谁。他走
上前去说道:“我是一个商人。”说罢打开篮子,让她来看篮子里的东西。少女一看,惊奇
地叫道:“嗬!多么漂亮的东西呀!”她放下水桶,把一件又一件金器看过之后说道:“国
王的女儿最喜欢这些东西了,应该让她看看,她会把这些全都买下的。”说完,她牵着他的
手,把他带进了王宫,因为她是国王女儿的一名侍女,她向卫兵说明情况之后,他们就放行
了。
公主看过他带的这些货样后,非常兴奋地说道:“太漂亮了,我要把它们全买下。”忠
实的约翰说道:“我只是一位富商的仆人,我带的这些和他放在船上的比根本算不了什么,
他那儿还有你从来没有见过的最精致最昂贵的金制工艺品哩!”公主听了之后,要他把所有
的东西都拿上岸来,但他说道:“要拿的话得要不少天才能卸完,因为太多了,就是把它们
放在这儿最大的房间里也放不下呀。”他这一说,公主的好奇心和欲望越发大了,忍不住说
道:“带我到你们的船上去吧,我要亲自看看你主人的货物。”
忠实的约翰非常高兴,引着她来到岸边。当国王看见她时,他觉得自己的心都要跳出嗓
子眼了,情不自禁地马上迎了上去。公主一上船他就引她进船舱去了。忠实的约翰来到船尾
找着舵手,令他马上起航,“张满风帆!”他喊道,“让船在波涛中像鸟儿在空中飞行一样
地前进。”
国王把船上的金制品一件一件地拿给公主过目,其中有各种各样的碟子、杯子、盆子和
珍禽异兽等等。公主满心欢喜地欣赏着每一件艺术珍品,一点也没有察觉船离岸起航。几个
小时过去了,在看完所有的东西后,她很有礼貌地对这个商人表示了谢意,说她应该回家
了。可当她走出船舱、来到船头时,才发现船早已离岸,此刻船正张满风帆在茫茫大海上飞
速航行。公主吓得尖声叫道:“上帝啊!我被诱骗了,被拐走了,落进了一个流动商贩的掌
握之中,我宁可死去。”但国王却拉着她的手说道:“我不是一个商人,我是一个国王,和
你一样出身于王室。用这种蒙骗你的方法把你带出来,是因为我非常非常地爱你。当第一次
看到你的画像时我就情不自禁地昏倒在地上。”金屋公主听完后,这才放下心来。经过交谈
了解,她很快也倾心于他,愿意嫁给他做妻子了。
但就在他们在茫茫大海上航行之时,却发生了这样一件事情。这天,忠实的约翰正坐在
船头吹奏他的长笛,突然看见三只渡鸦在天空中向他飞过来,嘴里不停地叽叽喳喳。约翰懂
得鸟语,所以,他马上停止吹奏,留心听着渡鸦之间的对话。第一只渡鸦说:“他去了!他
赢得了金屋公主的爱,让他去吧!”第二只渡鸦说:“不!他这一去,仍然得不到公主。”
第三只渡鸦说:“他这一去,一定能娶她,你们看他俩在船上并肩在一起的亲热样子吧!”
接着第一只渡鸦又开口说道:“那对他有什么用?不信你就看吧,当他们登上岸后,会有一
匹红棕色的马向他跑来。看到那匹马,他肯定会骑上去。只要他骑上那匹马,那马就会载着
他跳到空中去,他就再也别想看到他的爱人了。”第二只渡鸦接着说道:“正是这样!正是
这样!但有什么办法吗?”第一只渡鸦说:“有,有!如果有人坐上那匹马,抽出插在马鞍
里的匕首把马刺死,年青的国王才能得救,可有谁知道呢?就是有人知道,谁又会告诉他
呢?因为只要他将此事告诉国王,并因此而救了国王的命,那么,他的腿从脚趾到膝部整个
都会变成石头。”第二只渡鸦说:“正是这样,正是这样!但我还知道别的哩!尽管那马死
了,国王还是娶不到新娘。因为当他们一起走进王宫时,就会看到睡椅上有一套新婚礼服,
那套礼服看起来就像用金子和银子编织而成的,其实那都是一些硫磺和沥膏。只要他穿上那
套礼服,礼服就会把他烧死,一直烧到骨髓里面去。”第三只渡鸦说道:“哎呀呀!难道就
没救了吗?”第二只渡鸦说:“哦!有,有!如果有人抢上前去,抓起礼服把它们扔进火盆
里去,年青的国王就得救了。但那有什么用呢?要是有谁知道,并告诉了这个人,他按这种
办法救了国王,那他的身体从膝盖到胸部都会变成石头,谁又会这样干呢?”第三只渡鸦又
说道:“还有,还有!我知道的还要多一些哩!即使礼服被烧掉了,但国王仍然娶不成新
娘。因为,在结婚典礼之后,当舞会开始时,只要年青的王后上去跳舞,她马上会倒在地
上,脸色苍白得像死人一样。不过,这时要是有人上前扶起她,从她的右乳房中吸出三滴
血,她才不会死去。但要是有谁知道这些,又将这个方法告诉某个人,这个人按这个方法救
了新娘,那他的身体从脚尖到头顶都会变成石头。”接着,渡鸦拍着翅膀飞走了。忠实的约
翰已听懂了一切,他开始犯愁了,可他并没有把他听到的事情告诉他的主人。因为他知道如
果告诉了他,他一定会舍生救自己,最后他自言自语地说:“我一定要忠实地执行我的诺
言,那怕付出自己的生命也要救我的主人。”
在他们上岸后,渡鸦的预言应验了,岸边突然跳出一匹神俊的红棕色马来,国王喊道:
“快看,他一定会把我们送到王宫去的。”说完就要去上马。说时迟,那时快,忠实的约翰
抢在他之前骑上马,抽出匕首把马杀死了。国王的其他仆人原来就对他很嫉妒,这一来,他
们都叫道:“他杀死送国王回宫的骏马,太不像话了!”但国王却说道:“让他去做吧,他
是我忠实的约翰,谁知道他这样做不是为了有好的结果呢?”
当他们来到王宫,看见有间房子的靠椅上放着一套漂亮的礼服,礼服闪烁着金色和银色
的光芒。年青的国王走上前去准备把它们拿起来,但忠实的约翰却把它们一把抓过,扔进火
里烧掉了。其他的仆人又咕哝着说:“看吧,现在他又把结婚礼服给烧掉了。”但国王还是
说道:“谁知道他这么做是为了什么呢?让他做吧!他是我忠实的仆人约翰。”
结婚盛典举行后,舞会开始了,新娘一走进舞场,约翰就全神贯注地盯着她的脸,突然
间,新娘脸色苍白,就像死了一样倒在地上。约翰迅速地弹身向她跃去,将她挟起,抱着她
来到内室一张靠椅上,从她的右乳房中吸出了三滴血。新娘又开始呼吸,并活了过来。但年
青的国王看到了全部过程,他不知道忠实的约翰为什么要这样做,只是对他的胆大妄为非常
气愤,便下令说道:“把他关到牢房里去。”
第二天上午,忠实的约翰被押出牢房,推到了绞刑架前,面对绞刑架,他说道:“在我
死之前,我可以说件事吗?”国王回答说:“准许你的请求。”于是,约翰将在海上听到渡
鸦的对话以及他如何决心救自己主子的全部经过都说了出来,最后他说道:“我现在受到了
错误的判决,但我自始至终都是忠实而真诚的。”
当听完约翰的叙述,国王大声呼喊道:“哎呀!我最忠实的约翰!请原谅我!请原谅
我!快把他放下来!”但就在忠实的约翰说完最后一句话之后,他倒下去变成了一块没有生
命的石头。国王和王后趴在石像上悲痛不已,国王说道:“天哪!我竟然以这种忘恩负义的
方法来对待你的忠诚呀!”他令人将石像扶起,抬到了他的卧室,安放在自己的床边,使自
己能经常看到它、哀悼它。他对石像说:“唉――!我忠实的约翰,但愿我能让你复活!”
过了一年,王后生下了两个双胞胎儿子,看着他们慢慢长大,她心里高兴极了。有一
天,她去了教堂,两个儿子和国王待在王宫里。小家伙到处玩耍,国王对着石像唉声叹气,
哭泣着说道:“唉,我忠实的约翰,但愿我能够让你复活!”这一次,石像竟开始说话了,
它说道:“国王啊!要是你为我能舍弃你最亲爱的人儿,就能让我复活。”国王一听,坚定
地说道:“为了你,我愿付出世界上的任何东西。”“既然这样,”石像说道,“只要你砍
下你两个孩子的头,将他们的血洒在我身上,我就会复活了。”听到这里,国王马上震惊起
来,但他想到忠实的约翰是为他而死去的,想到他对自己忠心耿耿、誓死如归的高尚品行,
便站直身来,拔出佩剑,准备去砍下他两个孩子的头,将他们的血洒在石像上。但就在他拔
出佩剑的一刹那,忠实的约翰复活了,他站在国王的面前,挡住了他的去路,说道:“你的
真心诚意应该得到报答。”两个孩子仍欢蹦活跳、喧闹嘻戏着,就像什么事也没有发生过一
样。
国王满心欢喜。当他看到王后回来了,就想试一试她。他把忠实的约翰和两个儿子藏进
了一个大衣橱里面。当走她进房子后,他对她说:“你去教堂祈祷了吗?”王后回答:“是
的,我总是思念着忠实的约翰,想着他对我们的忠诚。”国王说道:“亲爱的夫人,我们能
够使约翰复活,但必须以我们小儿子的死作代价,要救他就得舍去他们。”王后听了大吃一
惊,脸唰地变得毫无血色,但她仍坚定地说道:“只好这样了,没有他无私的忠心与真诚,
就没有我们的今天,没有我们的小孩。”国王欣喜若狂地欢呼起来,因为妻子和自己的想法
完全一样。他马上跑去打开衣橱,把两个孩子和忠实的约翰放了出来,说道:“上帝也会为
此而感到骄傲!他又和我们在一起了,我们的儿子也安然无恙。”接着他把全部经过告诉了
她,大家高高兴兴欢地欢聚一堂,生活又充满了幸福和快乐。
------------------

[/b]

[b]

7 /The Good Bargain

There was once a peasant who had driven his cow to the fair, and sold her for seven thalers. On the way home he had to pass a pond, and already from afar he heard the frogs crying, "Aik, aik, aik, aik." "Well," said he to himself, "they are talking without rhyme or reason, it is seven that I have received, not eight." When he got to the water, he cried to them, "Stupid animals that you are! Don't you know better than that? It is seven thalers and not eight." The frogs, however, stood to their, "aik aik, aik, aik." "Come, then, if you won't believe it, I can count it out to you." And he took his money out of his pocket and counted out the seven thalers, always reckoning four and twenty groschen to a thaler. The frogs, however, paid no attention to his reckoning, but still cried, "aik, aik, aik, aik." "What," cried the peasant, quite angry, "since you are determined to know better than I, count it yourselves," and threw all the money into the water to them. He stood still and wanted to wait until they were done and had brought him his own again, but the frogs maintained their opinion and cried continually, "aik, aik, aik, aik," and besides that, did not throw the money out again. He still waited a long while until evening came on and he was forced to go home. Then he abused the frogs and cried, "You water-splashers, you thick-heads, you goggle-eyes, you have great mouths and can screech till you hurt one's ears, but you cannot count seven thalers! Do you think I'm going to stand here till you get done?" And with that he went away, but the frogs still cried, "aik, aik, aik, aik," after him till he went home quite angry.
After a while he bought another cow, which he killed, and he made the calculation that if he sold the meat well he might gain as much as the two cows were worth, and have the skin into the bargain. When therefore he got to the town with the meat, a great troop of dogs were gathered together in front of the gate, with a large greyhound at the head of them, which jumped at the meat, snuffed at it, and barked, "Wow, wow, wow." As there was no stopping him, the peasant said to him, "Yes, yes, I know quite well that thou art saying, 'wow, wow, wow,' because thou wantest some of the meat; but I should fare badly if I were to give it to thee." The dog, however, answered nothing but "wow, wow." "Wilt thou promise not to devour it all then, and wilt thou go bail for thy companions?" "Wow, wow, wow," said the dog. "Well, if thou insistest on it, I will leave it for thee; I know thee well, and know who is thy master; but this I tell thee, I must have my money in three days or else it will go ill with thee; thou must just bring it out to me." Thereupon he unloaded the meat and turned back again, the dogs fell upon it and loudly barked, "wow, wow."

The countryman, who heard them from afar, said to himself, "Hark, now they all want some, but the big one is responsible to me for it."

When three days had passed, the countryman thought, "To-night my money will be in my pocket," and was quite delighted. But no one would come and pay it. "There is no trusting any one now," said he; and at last he lost patience, and went into the town to the butcher and demanded his money. The butcher thought it was a joke, but the peasant said, "Jesting apart, I will have my money! Did not the great dog bring you the whole of the slaughtered cow three days ago?" Then the butcher grew angry, snatched a broomstick and drove him out. "Wait a while," said the peasant, "there is still some justice in the world!" and went to the royal palace and begged for an audience. He was led before the King, who sat there with his daughter, and asked him what injury he had suffered. "Alas!" said he, "the frogs and the dogs have taken from me what is mine, and the butcher has paid me for it with the stick," and he related at full length all that had happened. Thereupon the King's daughter began to laugh heartily, and the King said to him, "I cannot give you justice in this, but you shall have my daughter to wife for it, -- in her whole life she has never yet laughed as she has just done at thee, and I have promised her to him who could make her laugh. Thou mayst thank God for thy good fortune!"

"Oh," answered the peasant, "I will not have her, I have a wife already, and she is one too many for me; when I go home, it is just as bad as if I had a wife standing in every corner." Then the King grew angry, and said, "Thou art a boor." "Ah, Lord King," replied the peasant, "what can you expect from an ox, but beef?" "Stop," answered the King, "thou shalt have another reward. Be off now, but come back in three days, and then thou shalt have five hundred counted out in full."

When the peasant went out by the gate, the sentry said, "Thou hast made the King's daughter laugh, so thou wilt certainly receive something good." "Yes, that is what I think," answered the peasant; "five hundred are to be counted out to me." "Hark thee," said the soldier, "give me some of it. What canst thou do with all that money?" "As it is thou," said the peasant, "thou shalt have two hundred; present thyself in three days' time before the King, and let it be paid to thee." A Jew, who was standing by and had heard the conversation, ran after the peasant, held him by the coat, and said, "Oh, wonder! what a luck-child thou art! I will change it for thee, I will change it for thee into small coins, what dost thou want with the great thalers?" "Jew," said the countryman, "three hundred canst thou still have; give it to me at once in coin, in three days from this, thou wilt be paid for it by the King." The Jew was delighted with the profit, and brought the sum in bad groschen, three of which were worth two good ones. After three days had passed, according to the King's command, the peasant went before the King. "Pull his coat off," said the latter, "and he shall have his five hundred." "Ah!" said the peasant, "they no longer belong to me; I presented two hundred of them to the sentinel, and three hundred the Jew has changed for me, so by right nothing at all belongs to me." In the meantime the soldier and the Jew entered and claimed what they had gained from the peasant, and they received the blows strictly counted out. The soldier bore it patiently and knew already how it tasted, but the Jew said sorrowfully, "Alas, alas, are these the heavy thalers?" The King could not help laughing at the peasant, and as all his anger was gone, he said, "As thou hast already lost thy reward before it fell to thy lot, I will give thee something in the place of it. Go into my treasure chamber and get some money for thyself, as much as thou wilt." The peasant did not need to be told twice, and stuffed into his big pockets whatsoever would go in. Afterwards he went to an inn and counted out his money. The Jew had crept after him and heard how he muttered to himself, "That rogue of a King has cheated me after all, why could he not have given me the money himself, and then I should have known what I had? How can I tell now if what I have had the luck to put in my pockets is right or not?" "Good heavens!" said the Jew to himself, "that man is speaking disrespectfully of our lord the King, I will run and inform, and then I shall get a reward, and he will be punished as well."

When the King heard of the peasant's words he fell into a passion, and commanded the Jew to go and bring the offender to him. The Jew ran to the peasant, "You are to go at once to the lord King in the very clothes you have on." "I know what's right better than that," answered the peasant, "I shall have a new coat made first. Dost thou think that a man with so much money in his pocket is to go there in his ragged old coat?" The Jew, as he saw that the peasant would not stir without another coat, and as he feared that if the King's anger cooled, he himself would lose his reward, and the peasant his punishment, said, "I will out of pure friendship lend thee a coat for the short time. What will people not do for love!" The peasant was contented with this, put the Jew's coat on, and went off with him.

The King reproached the countryman because of the evil speaking of which the Jew had informed him. "Ah," said the peasant, "what a Jew says is always false -- no true word ever comes out of his mouth! That rascal there is capable of maintaining that I have his coat on."

"What is that?" shrieked the Jew. "Is the coat not mine? Have I not lent it to thee out of pure friendship, in order that thou might appear before the lord King?" When the King heard that, he said, "The Jew has assuredly deceived one or the other of us, either myself or the peasant," and again he ordered something to be counted out to him in hard thalers. The peasant, however, went home in the good coat, with the good money in his pocket, and said to himself, "This time I have hit it!"

[/b]

[b]

好交易

从前有个农夫,赶着一头母牛去集市出售,结果卖了七个银币。在回家的路上,他经过
一个池塘,远远地就听到青蛙们在叫:“呱――呱――呱――呱――。”“嘿,”农夫自言
自语地说,“你们真是在胡说八道。我只卖了七个银币,不是八个。”他走到池塘边,冲着
青蛙喊道:“你们这些愚蠢的东西!难道你们还没有搞清楚吗?是七个银币,不是八个!”
可是青蛙还在那里叫着:“呱,呱,呱,呱。”“我说,要是你们真的不相信,我可以数给
你们看。”农夫说着便从口袋里掏出钱来数,并把二十个小钱算成一个银币,结果数来数去
还是七个银币,然而青蛙们根本不管他数出来的钱是多少,只管一个劲地叫着:“呱,呱,
呱,呱。”“什么?”农夫生气地喊道,“要是你们自以为懂得比我还多,那你们就自己去
数吧。”他说着把钱全部扔进了水里。他站在池塘边,等待着青蛙们把钱数完后还给他,可
是青蛙们却固执己见,仍然叫着:“呱,呱,呱,呱。”它们再也没有把钱还回来。农夫在
那里等了很久,一直等到天黑,才不得不回家。临走的时候,他大声骂青蛙:“你们这些水
鬼,你们这些蠢货,你们这些阔嘴巴、鼓眼睛的家伙!你们整天吵得别人耳朵根不得清静,
而你们居然连七个银币都数不清!你们以为我会一直呆在这里等着你们把钱数清吗?”他说
完这番话就走了,而青蛙们还在喊着:
“呱,呱,呱,呱”,气得他到家时仍然憋着一肚子气。
过了一阵子,农夫又买了一头牛,把它宰了。他一算计,发现自己不仅可以挣回两头牛
的钱,而且还白得一张牛皮。于是,他把肉运到了城里;可是城门口有一大群狗,领头的是
一只大狼犬。大狼犬围着牛肉跳来跳去,一面闻一面“汪,汪,汪”地叫着。农夫看到自己
怎么也制止不了它,便对它说:“是的,是的,我知道你那‘汪,汪,汪’的意思。你是想
吃点肉,可要是我们肉给了你,我自己就倒霉了!”但是狼犬只是回答“汪,汪,汪”。
“那么你愿不愿意答应不把肉全吃完,并且愿意为其他狗作担保呢?”“汪,汪,汪,”狼
犬叫着。“好吧,要是你硬要这么做,我就把肉都留在这里。我认识你,也知道你在谁家当
差。我把话说在头里,你必须在三天内把钱还给我,不然我叫你好看!你可以把钱送到我家
去。”说着,农夫就把肉卸在地上,转身回家去了。那群狗一下子扑到牛肉上,大声叫着:
“汪,汪,汪!”
农夫在远处听到它们的叫声,自言自语地说:“听啊,它们现在都想吃一点,但账得由
那头大狼犬付。”
三天过去了,农夫想:“今晚我的钱就可以装在我的口袋里了。”想到这里,他非常高
兴。然而谁也没有来给他还钱。“这年月谁也不能相信!”他说。到最后他终于不耐烦了,
只好进城找屠夫要钱。屠夫以为他是在开玩笑,可是农夫说:“谁和你开玩笑?我要我的
钱!难道你的那条大狼犬三天前没有把一整头牛的肉给你送来吗?”屠夫这次真的发火了,
一把抓起扫帚把农夫赶了出去。“你等着,”农夫说,“这世界上还有公道呢!”他说着就
跑到王宫去喊冤,结果被带去见国王。国王正和公主坐在一起,他问农夫有什么冤屈。“天
哪!”他说,“青蛙和狗把我的钱拿走了,屠夫不但不认账,还用扫帚打我。”接着,他把
事情从头至尾讲了一遍,逗得公主开心地哈哈大笑。国王对他说:“这件事情我无法为你主
持公道,不过我可以把我女儿嫁给你。她一辈子还从来没有像笑你那样大笑过;我许过愿,
要把她嫁给能使她发笑的人。你能交上这样的好运,真得感谢上帝!”
“哦,”农夫回答,“我才不想娶你女儿呢。我已经有了一个老婆,而这个老婆我都嫌
多。每次我回到家里,总觉得到处都有她似的。”国王一听就生了气,说:“你真是个蠢
货!”“嗨,国王老爷,”农夫说,“除了牛肉,你还能指望从牛身上得到什么呢?”“等
等,”国王说,“我另外给你一样奖赏吧。你现在去吧,过三天再回来。我要给你整整五百
块银元。”
农夫从宫门出来时,卫兵问他:“你把公主逗笑了,肯定得到什么奖赏了吧?”“我想
是吧,”农夫说,“国王要给我整整五百块银元呢。”“你听我说,”卫兵说,“你要那么
多钱干什么?分一点给我吧!”“既然是你嘛,”农夫说,“我就给你两百块吧。你三天后
去见国王,让他把钱付给你好了。”站在旁边的一位犹太人听到了他们的谈话,赶紧追上农
夫,拽着他的外衣说:“我的天哪,你的运气真好啊!你要那些大银元做什么?把它们换给
我吧,我给你换成小钱。”“犹太人,”农夫说,“你还有三百块银元好拿,赶紧把小钱给
我吧。三天后让国王把钱给你好了。”犹太人很高兴自己占到了便宜,给农夫拿来了一些坏
铜钱。这种坏铜钱三枚只能值两枚。三天过去了,农夫按国王的吩咐,来到了国王的面前。
国王突然说道:“脱掉他的外衣,给他五百板子。”“嗨,”农夫说道,“这五百已经不属
于我了。我把其中的两百送给了卫兵,把另外的三百换给了犹太人,所以它们根本不属于
我。”就在这时,卫兵和犹太人进来向国王要钱,结果分别如数挨了板子。卫兵因为尝过板
子的滋味,所以挺了过来;犹太人却伤心地说:“天哪,天哪,这就是那些沉重的银元
吗?”国王忍不住对农夫笑了,怒气也消失了。他说:“既然你在得到给你的奖赏之前就已
经失去了,我愿意给你一些补偿。你到我的宝库去取一些钱吧!愿意拿多少就拿多少。”这
句话农夫一听就懂,把他的大口袋装得满满的,然后他走进一家酒店,数着他的钱。犹太人
悄悄跟在他的后面,听见他在低声嘀咕:“那个混蛋国王到底还是把我给骗了!他干吗不自
己把钱给我呢?这样我就能知道他究竟给了我多少。他现在让我自己把钱装进口袋,我怎么
知道有多少钱呢?”“我的天哪,”犹太人心中想道,“这个家伙居然在说国王大人的坏
话。我要跑去告诉国王,这样我就能得到奖赏,而这家伙就会受到惩罚。”
国王听了农夫说过的话大发雷霆,命令犹太人去把农夫抓来。犹太人跑到农夫那里,对
他说:“国王让你赶紧去见他。”“我知道怎么去更好,”农夫回答,“我要先请裁缝给我
做件新外套。你认为口袋里装着这么多钱的人能穿着这身旧衣服去见国王吗?”犹太人看到
农夫怎么也不愿意穿着旧衣服去见国王,怕时间一长国王的怒火平息了,自己会得不到奖
赏,农夫也会免遭惩罚,便对他说:“纯粹是出于友谊,我暂时把我的外套借给你。为了友
爱,人可是什么事情都肯做的呀!”农夫对这种安排很满意,便穿上犹太人的外套,和他一
起去见国王。
国王责问农夫为什么要说犹太人所告发的那些坏话。
“啊,”农夫说,“犹太人什么时候说过真话呢?狗嘴里吐不出象牙来!这混蛋大概还
要说我身上的外套是他的呢。”
“你说什么?”犹太人嚷道,“难道那外套不是我的吗?难道我没有出于友谊把它借给
你,好让你来见国王吗?”国王听到这里便说:“这个犹太人肯定骗了人,不是骗了我就是
骗了农夫,”然后又命令人再赏给他一些硬板子。农夫穿着漂亮的外套,口袋里装着鼓鼓的
钱,边往家走边想:“这次的交易做成功了!”
------------------

[/b]

[b]

8 /The Wonderful Musician

There was once a wonderful musician, who went quite alone through a forest and thought of all manner of things, and when nothing was left for him to think about, he said to himself, "Time is beginning to pass heavily with me here in the forest, I will fetch hither a good companion for myself." Then he took his fiddle from his back, and played so that it echoed through the trees. It was not long before a wolf came trotting through the thicket towards him. "Ah, here is a wolf coming! I have no desire for him!" said the musician; but the wolf came nearer and said to him, "Ah, dear musician, how beautifully thou dost play. I should like to learn that, too." "It is soon learnt," the musician replied, "thou hast only to do all that I bid thee." "Oh, musician," said the wolf, "I will obey thee as a scholar obeys his master." The musician bade him follow, and when they had gone part of the way together, they came to an old oak-tree which was hollow inside, and cleft in the middle. "Look," said the musician, "if thou wilt learn to fiddle, put thy fore paws into this crevice." The wolf obeyed, but the musician quickly picked up a stone and with one blow wedged his two paws so fast that he was forced to stay there like a prisoner. "Stay there until I come back again," said the musician, and went his way.

After a while he again said to himself, "Time is beginning to pass heavily with me here in the forest, I will fetch hither another companion," and took his fiddle and again played in the forest. It was not long before a fox came creeping through the trees towards him. "Ah, there's a fox coming!" said the musician. "I have no desire for him." The fox came up to him and said, "Oh, dear musician, how beautifully thou dost play! I should like to learn that too." "That is soon learnt," said the musician. "Thou hast only to do everything that I bid thee." "Oh, musician," then said the fox, "I will obey thee as a scholar obeys his master." "Follow me," said the musician; and when they had walked a part of the way, they came to a footpath, with high bushes on both sides of it. There the musician stood still, and from one side bent a young hazel-bush down to the ground, and put his foot on the top of it, then he bent down a young tree from the other side as well, and said, "Now little fox, if thou wilt learn something, give me thy left front paw." The fox obeyed, and the musician fastened his paw to the left bough. "Little fox," said he, "now reach me thy right paw" and he tied it to the right bough. When he had examined whether they were firm enough, he let go, and the bushes sprang up again, and jerked up the little fox, so that it hung struggling in the air. "Wait there till I come back again," said the musician, and went his way.

Again he said to himself, "Time is beginning to pass heavily with me here in the forest, I will fetch hither another companion," so he took his fiddle, and the sound echoed through the forest. Then a little hare came springing towards him. "Why, a hare is coming," said the musician, "I do not want him." "Ah, dear musician," said the hare, "how beautifully thou dost fiddle; I too, should like to learn that." "That is soon learnt," said the musician, "thou hast only to do everything that I bid thee."

"Oh, musician," replied the little hare, "I will obey thee as a scholar obeys his master." They went a part of the way together until they came to an open space in the forest, where stood an aspen tree. The musician tied a long string round the little hare's neck, the other end of which he fastened to the tree. "Now briskly, little hare, run twenty times round the tree!" cried the musician, and the little hare obeyed, and when it had run round twenty times, it had twisted the string twenty times round the trunk of the tree, and the little hare was caught, and let it pull and tug as it liked, it only made the string cut into its tender neck. "Wait there till I come back," said the musician, and went onwards.

The wolf, in the meantime, had pushed and pulled and bitten at the stone, and had worked so long that he had set his feet at liberty and had drawn them once more out of the cleft. Full of anger and rage he hurried after the musician and wanted to tear him to pieces. When the fox saw him running, he began to lament, and cried with all his might, "Brother wolf, come to my help, the musician has betrayed me!" The wolf drew down the little tree, bit the cord in two, and freed the fox, who went with him to take revenge on the musician. They found the tied-up hare, whom likewise they delivered, and then they all sought the enemy together.

The musician had once more played his fiddle as he went on his way, and this time he had been more fortunate. The sound reached the ears of a poor wood-cutter, who instantly, whether he would or no, gave up his work and came with his hatchet under his arm to listen to the music. "At last comes the right companion," said the musician, "for I was seeking a human being, and no wild beast." And he began and played so beautifully and delightfully that the poor man stood there as if bewitched, and his heart leaped with gladness. And as he thus stood, the wolf, the fox, and the hare came up, and he saw well that they had some evil design. So he raised his glittering axe and placed himself before the musician, as if to say, "Whoso wishes to touch him let him beware, for he will have to do with me!" Then the beasts were terrified and ran back into the forest. The musician, however, played once more to the man out of gratitude, and then went onwards.

[/b]

[b]

令人叫绝的乐师

有一个技艺一流的乐师,他的小提琴演奏令人赏心悦耳,激动不已。一次,他怀着愉快
的心情到森林里去漫游,走了一段路,觉得一个人太无聊,就自言自语地说:“一个人太沉
闷了,我得找一个伙伴来。”于是,他拿起小提琴拉了起来。
顷刻间,森林里回荡起了他那美妙的乐声。
一只狼出现了,乐师看到后说道:“哎呀!是一只狼来看我了。”狼走到他面前说:
“您的琴拉得太动听了!但愿您能教教我。”乐师说:“这很容易,只要你按我的吩咐做就
行了。”狼回答说:“好的,我将是一个非常善于用功的学生。”这样,他们一起走上了小
路,最后来到了一棵大树前。这是一棵里面空了的老栎树,树干中间裂了一条大缝。乐师对
狼说:“看这儿,如果你想学拉小提琴,就把你的前脚伸进这条裂缝去。”狼按照他说的做
了,乐师拾起一块大石头把它的两只前脚牢牢地卡在了裂缝里,就像一个被铐着的囚犯。
“现在,你给我乖乖地在这儿等着我回来。”乐师说完,迈着悠闲的步子扬长而去。
过了一会儿,他又自言自语地说:“一个人太沉闷了,我得再找一个伙伴来。”于是,
他又拉起了小提琴,悠扬的提琴声再次在森林里传了开去。接着一只狐狸慢慢地来到了他身
边,他说道:“哎呀!来了一只狐狸。”狐狸上前说道:“您真是一个一流的乐师,提琴拉
的多棒啊!我一定要向您学习拉提琴。”乐师说:“你很快就可以学会,只要你按照我教你
的去做就成。”狐狸马上应声道:“好的,我会按您的吩咐去做的。”他们一起上路了。当
他们来到一条窄窄的小路时,乐师望了望小路两旁高高的树丛,然后将小路一边的一棵矮壮
的榛树干弯下靠近路面,用脚踩住树尖,又弯下小路另一边的一棵榛树对狐狸说:“机灵的
狐狸,如果你想学拉小提琴,就把你的左前爪让我握住。”狐狸马上伸出了左前爪,乐师将
狐狸爪子绑到一棵榛树的树梢。“现在把你的右前爪伸过来给我。”狐狸又按乐师的吩咐做
了,他将这只爪子绑在了另一棵榛树的树梢,随后放开自己的脚,两边的榛树“哗啦”向上
弹了起来,狐狸也跟着被弹起,四脚张开被挂了起来,来回在空中不停地摇晃着。乐师说
道:“现在你好好地呆在这儿,等着我回来。”说完,又迈着悠闲的步子扬长而去。
可是,不久他又自言自语地说:“又沉闷起来了,我得找一个伙伴。”于是,他拉起了
小提琴,琴声飘扬,跑来了一只野兔。乐师说道:“哎呀,是只野兔。”野兔对他说:“您
不愧是一个优秀的琴师。您的琴真是拉绝了。您教我好吗?”乐师回答说:“好吧,如果你
按我的指挥来做,我就教你。”野兔马上说道:“好的,我会是一个好学生。”然后他们一
起走了很长一段时间。当来到森林里一片开阔地带时,乐师用一根绳子在野兔的脖子上系
好,将绳子的另一头拴在一棵树上,说道:“好了,灵巧的野兔,跳起来,迅速地绕树跑二
十圈。”愚蠢的野兔按乐师的吩咐跑了起来。当兔子围着树跑完二十圈后,它也将系着它的
绳子在树干上绕了二十圈,像一个被套在树上的囚犯。跑完后,野兔兴致勃勃地又拉又扯,
但只要一拉,绳子将它的脖子勒得更紧。这时乐师说道:“现在等在这儿,直到我回来。”
说完就走了。
再说狼被卡住后,又是拉自己的脚,又是咬树干,还跳起来用后脚抓石头。花了好些时
间,费了好大的劲,最后才将脚抽出来。它愤恨到了极点,说道:“我一定要赶上那卑鄙的
乐师,把他撕成碎片。”说完追了上去。狐狸看见狼从身边跑过,叫道:“哎!狼兄,请把
我放下来,那乐师用诡计把我弄成了这个样子。”于是狼在榛树下面忙乎起来,咬断了两棵
树后,它俩又一起去找那位乐师。当它们来到野兔旁边时,野兔也叫喊要它们帮忙。它们把
它解脱后,一起向它们的仇人追去。
此时,乐师为了再找一个伙伴,他又拉起了小提琴,一个贫穷的樵夫听到他这欢快的琴
声,兴奋不已,禁不住将斧头夹在胳膊下寻声而来。这回,乐师看见是一个人来了,非常高
兴,对这位樵夫非常有礼貌,没有用诡计作弄他,而且拉起了他最善长的曲调,直听得那樵
夫如醉如痴,心中洋溢着欢喜。就在樵夫站在旁边凝神静听时,他看到狼、狐狸和野兔走上
前来。从它们面部狂怒的表情,樵夫知道它们来这儿是不怀好意的,所以他站在乐师的前
面,端起斧子,就像是在说:“有我这把斧子在,谁也别想伤害乐师!”这些野兽看到这情
形,吓得急忙跑回了森林。乐师此刻又为樵夫拉起他最拿手的曲子,以答谢他为自己鼎力相
助,赶走了野兽。拉完后他与樵夫话别,继续他的漫游。
------------------

[/b]

[b]

9 /The Twelve Brothers

There were once on a time a king and a queen who lived happily together and had twelve children, but they were all boys. Then said the King to his wife, "If the thirteenth child which thou art about to bring into the world, is a girl, the twelve boys shall die, in order that her possessions may be great, and that the kingdom may fall to her alone." He caused likewise twelve coffins to be made, which were already filled with shavings, and in each lay the little pillow for the dead, and he had them taken into a locked-up room, and then he gave the Queen the key of it, and bade her not to speak of this to any one.

The mother, however, now sat and lamented all day long, until the youngest son, who was always with her, and whom she had named Benjamin, from the Bible, said to her, "Dear mother, why art thou so sad?"

"Dearest child," she answered, "I may not tell thee." But he let her have no rest until she went and unlocked the room, and showed him the twelve coffins ready filled with shavings. Then she said, my dearest Benjamin, thy father has had these coffins made for thee and for thy eleven brothers, for if I bring a little girl into the world, you are all to be killed and buried in them." And as she wept while she was saying this, the son comforted her and said, "Weep not, dear mother, we will save ourselves, and go hence." But she said, "Go forth into the forest with thy eleven brothers, and let one sit constantly on the highest tree which can be found, and keep watch, looking towards the tower here in the castle. If I give birth to a little son, I will put up a white flag, and then you may venture to come back, but if I bear a daughter, I will hoist a red flag, and then fly hence as quickly as you are able, and may the good God protect you. And every night I will rise up and pray for you -- in winter that you may be able to warm yourself at a fire, and in summer that you may not faint away in the heat."

After she had blessed her sons therefore, they went forth into the forest. They each kept watch in turn, and sat on the highest oak and looked towards the tower. When eleven days had passed and the turn came to Benjamin, he saw that a flag was being raised. It was, however, not the white, but the blood-red flag which announced that they were all to die. When the brothers heard that, they were very angry and said, "Are we all to suffer death for the sake of a girl? We swear that we will avenge ourselves !-- wheresoever we find a girl, her red blood shall flow."

Thereupon they went deeper into the forest, and in the midst of it, where it was the darkest, they found a little bewitched hut, which was standing empty. Then said they, "Here we will dwell, and thou Benjamin, who art the youngest and weakest, thou shalt stay at home and keep house, we others will go out and get food." Then they went into the forest and shot hares, wild deer, birds and pigeons, and whatsoever there was to eat; this they took to Benjamin, who had to dress it for them in order that they might appease their hunger. They lived together ten years in the little hut, and the time did not appear long to them.

The little daughter which their mother the Queen had given birth to, was now grown up; she was good of heart, and fair of face, and had a golden star on her forehead. Once, when it was the great washing, she saw twelve men's shirts among the things, and asked her mother, "To whom do these twelve shirts belong, for they are far too small for father?" Then the Queen answered with a heavy heart, "Dear child, these belong to thy twelve brothers." Said the maiden, "Where are my twelve brothers, I have never yet heard of them?" She replied, "God knows where they are, they are wandering about the world." Then she took the maiden and opened the chamber for her, and showed her the twelve coffins with the shavings, and pillows for the head. "These coffins," said she, "were destined for thy brothers, but they went away secretly before thou wert born," and she related to her how everything had happened; then said the maiden, "Dear mother, weep not, I will go and seek my brothers."

So she took the twelve shirts and went forth, and straight into the great forest. She walked the whole day, and in the evening she came to the bewitched hut. Then she entered it and found a young boy, who asked, "From whence comest thou, and whither art thou bound?" and was astonished that she was so beautiful, and wore royal garments, and had a star on her forehead. And she answered, "I am a king's daughter, and am seeking my twelve brothers, and I will walk as far as the sky is blue until I find them." She likewise showed him the twelve shirts which belonged to them. Then Benjamin saw that she was his sister, and said, "I am Benjamin, thy youngest brother." And she began to weep for joy, and Benjamin wept also, and they kissed and embraced each other with the greatest love. But after this he said, "Dear sister, there is still one difficulty. We have agreed that every maiden whom we meet shall die, because we have been obliged to leave our kingdom on account of a girl." Then said she, "I will willingly die, if by so doing I can deliver my twelve brothers."

"No," answered he, "thou shalt not die, seat thyself beneath this tub until our eleven brothers come, and then I will soon come to an agreement with them."

She did so, and when it was night the others came from hunting, and their dinner was ready. And as they were sitting at table, and eating, they asked, "What news is there?" Said Benjamin, "Don't you know anything?" "No," they answered. He continued, "You have been in the forest and I have stayed at home, and yet I know more than you do." "Tell us then," they cried. He answered, "But promise me that the first maiden who meets us shall not be killed." "Yes," they all cried, "she shall have mercy, only do tell us."

Then said he, "Our sister is here," and he lifted up the tub, and the King's daughter came forth in her royal garments with the golden star on her forehead, and she was beautiful, delicate and fair. Then they were all rejoiced, and fell on her neck, and kissed and loved her with all their hearts.

Now she stayed at home with Benjamin and helped him with the work. The eleven went into the forest and caught game, and deer, and birds, and wood-pigeons that they might have food, and the little sister and Benjamin took care to make it ready for them. She sought for the wood for cooking and herbs for vegetables, and put the pans on the fire so that the dinner was always ready when the eleven came. She likewise kept order in the little house, and put beautifully white clean coverings on the little beds, and the brothers were always contented and lived in great harmony with her.

Once on a time the two at home had prepared a beautiful entertainment, and when they were all together, they sat down and ate and drank and were full of gladness. There was, however, a little garden belonging to the bewitched house wherein stood twelve lily flowers, which are likewise called students. She wished to give her brothers pleasure, and plucked the twelve flowers, and thought she would present each brother with one while at dinner. But at the self-same moment that she plucked the flowers the twelve brothers were changed into twelve ravens, and flew away over the forest, and the house and garden vanished likewise. And now the poor maiden was alone in the wild forest, and when she looked around, an old woman was standing near her who said, "My child, what hast thou done? Why didst thou not leave the twelve white flowers growing? They were thy brothers, who are now for evermore changed into ravens." The maiden said, weeping, "Is there no way of delivering them?"

"No," said the woman, "there is but one in the whole world, and that is so hard that thou wilt not deliver them by it, for thou must be dumb for seven years, and mayst not speak or laugh, and if thou speakest one single word, and only an hour of the seven years is wanting, all is in vain, and thy brothers will be killed by the one word."

Then said the maiden in her heart, "I know with certainty that I shall set my brothers free," and went and sought a high tree and seated herself in it and span, and neither spoke nor laughed. Now it so happened that a king was hunting in the forest, who had a great greyhound which ran to the tree on which the maiden was sitting, and sprang about it, whining, and barking at her. Then the King came by and saw the beautiful King's daughter with the golden star on her brow, and was so charmed with her beauty that he called to ask her if she would be his wife. She made no answer, but nodded a little with her head. So he climbed up the tree himself, carried her down, placed her on his horse, and bore her home. Then the wedding was solemnized with great magnificence and rejoicing, but the bride neither spoke nor smiled. When they had lived happily together for a few years, the King's mother, who was a wicked woman, began to slander the young Queen, and said to the King, "This is a common beggar girl whom thou hast brought back with thee. Who knows what impious tricks she practises secretly! Even if she be dumb, and not able to speak, she still might laugh for once; but those who do not laugh have bad consciences." At first the King would not believe it, but the old woman urged this so long, and accused her of so many evil things, that at last the King let himself be persuaded and sentenced her to death.

And now a great fire was lighted in the courtyard in which she was to be burnt, and the King stood above at the window and looked on with tearful eyes, because he still loved her so much. And when she was bound fast to the stake, and the fire was licking at her clothes with its red tongue, the last instant of the seven years expired. Then a whirring sound was heard in the air, and twelve ravens came flying towards the place, and sank downwards, and when they touched the earth they were her twelve brothers, whom she had delivered. They tore the fire asunder, extinguished the flames, set their dear sister free, and kissed and embraced her. And now as she dared to open her mouth and speak, she told the King why she had been dumb, and had never laughed. The King rejoiced when he heard that she was innocent, and they all lived in great unity until their death. The wicked step-mother was taken before the judge, and put into a barrel filled with boiling oil and venomous snakes, and died an evil death.

[/b]

[b]

十二兄弟

从前有一个国王和一个王后,他们幸福地生活在一起,并且生了十二个孩子,可这十二
个孩子全是男孩。国王对王后说:“你快要生第十三个孩子了。要是这个孩子是个女孩,我
就下令杀掉那十二个男孩,好让她得到更多的财产,并且让她继承王位。”国王不只是说说
而已,他甚至让人做了十二副棺材,在棺材里装满刨花,还在里面放上一个小寿枕。他让人
把棺材全部锁进一个密室,把秘室的钥匙交给王后,不许她告诉任何人。
做母亲的现在整天坐在那里伤心,终于有一天,一直和她呆在一起的最小的儿子――她
给他起了个《圣经》上的名字便雅明――问她:“亲爱的妈妈,你为什么这样忧伤?”“亲
爱的孩子,”她回答,“我不能告诉你。”可是便雅明老是缠着王后,终于逼得她打开了密
室,让他看了那十二副里面装满了刨花的棺材。她随后说:“我亲爱的便雅明,这些棺材是
你父亲为你和你的十一个哥哥准备的,因为如果我生下一个小妹妹,你们就会被杀死,用这
些棺材埋葬掉。”她边说边哭,便雅明安慰她说:“别哭了,亲爱的妈妈,我们不会被杀死
的。我们可以逃走。”可是王后说:“你和十一个哥哥逃到森林里去吧!你们要时刻派人在
能找到的最高的树上放哨,注视城堡里的高塔。如果我生下的是个小弟弟,我就升起一面白
旗,你们就可以回来了。如果我生下的是个小妹妹,我就升起一面红旗,你们就赶紧远走高
飞,愿上帝保佑你们。我每天晚上都会起来为你们祈祷,祈祷你们在冬天能有炉火暖暖身
子,祈祷你们在夏天不要中暑。”
在接受了母亲的祝福之后,十二位王子便来到了森林里。他们一个个轮流放哨,坐在最
高的橡树上,望着王宫里的高塔。十一天过去了,轮到便雅明放哨。他看到高塔上升起了一
面旗子,可这旗子不是白色的,而是血红色的,这意味着他们只有死路一条。当便雅明的哥
哥们听到这个消息后都气坏了,说:“难道要我们大家为一个女孩去死吗?我们发誓要为自
己报仇,不管在什么地方,只要见到女孩,就一定让她流出鲜红的血液!”
于是,他们便向森林的深处走去,在森林中最黑暗的地方发现了一座被人使了魔法的小
空屋。他们说:“我们就住在这里。便雅明,你是我们当中年纪最小、身子最弱的,所以你
就呆在家里看家,我们其他人出去找吃的东西。”随后,他们走进林子去射野兔、野鹿、各
种各样的鸟和鸽子,并且寻找任何可以吃的东西,一起带回来给便雅明,让他做好了给大家
填肚子。他们在这小屋子里一起生活了十年,并没有感到时间很长。
王后生下的小姑娘现在也长大了。她心地善良,美丽可爱,额头上还有一颗金色的星
星。一天大扫除,她看到洗的衣服里有十二件男衬衣,便问她的妈妈:“这些衬衣是谁穿的
呀?它们太小了,肯定不是爸爸穿的。”王后心情沉重地回答:“亲爱的孩子,这些是你十
二个哥哥的衣服。”小姑娘说:“我的十二个哥哥在哪里呀?我怎么从来没有听说过他们
呀?”王后回答:“他们四处流浪,只有上帝才知道他们在哪里。”说着,王后把小姑娘带
到密室那里,打开门,让她看了里面装着刨花和寿枕的十二副棺材。她说:“这些棺材是为
你的哥哥们准备的,但他们在你出世前偷偷逃跑了。”王后把事情的的经过原原本本地告诉
了小姑娘,而小姑娘则说:“不要伤心,亲爱的妈妈。我去把哥哥们找回来。”
于是,她带上那十二件衬衣,径直向森林走去。她走了整整一天,傍晚时来到了这座被
人使了魔法的小屋。她走进小屋,看到里面有个少年。看到她长得非常漂亮,而且身上穿着
华丽的衣服,额头上还有一颗金色的星星,少年感到很惊讶,便问:“你从哪里来?要到哪
里去?”她回答:“我是公主,在寻找我的十二个哥哥。哪怕是走到天涯海角,我也一定要
找到他们。”她说着便拿出他们的十二件衬衣给他看,便雅明这才知道她是他的妹妹。他
说:“我叫便雅明,是你最小的哥哥。”公主高兴得哭了起来,便雅明也流下了热泪。他们
亲热地又是亲吻又是拥抱。过了一会儿,便雅明说:“亲爱的妹妹,我们还有一件麻烦事。
我们十二个人发过誓,要杀掉我们见到的任何一个姑娘,因为我们就是为了一个女孩而被迫
逃离王国的。”她说:“只要能救我的十二个哥哥,我愿意去死。”
“不行,”便雅明回答,“你不会死的。你先躲在这只桶下面,等十一个哥哥回来,我
会说服他们的。”
于是,公主便躲到了桶下面。晚上,另外十一位王子打猎回来时,便雅明已经把晚饭做
好了。他们在桌子旁坐下来,边吃边问:“有什么新闻吗?”便雅明说:“难道你们什么也
不知道?”“没有,”他们回答。便雅明说:“你们去了森林,我一个人呆在家里,可我知
道的却比你们知道的还要多。”“快告诉我们吧,”他们嚷道。他说:“不过你们得向我保
证,决不杀死见到的第一个女孩。”“好的,”他们一起说,“我们饶了她。快把新闻告诉
我们吧。”
便雅明说:“我们的妹妹来了!”然后,他提起木桶,公主从里面走出来了。只见她穿
着华丽的衣服,额头上有一颗金色的星星,显得非常美丽、温柔、文雅。他们一个个喜出望
外,搂着她的脖子,亲吻她,真心实意地爱她。
从此,她便和便雅明呆在家里,帮他做家务。十一个哥哥去森林里打猎,抓来鹿、斑鸠
和别的鸟,让小妹妹和便雅明仔细烧好了填肚子。小姑娘出去捡柴火,采来花草当蔬菜,把
锅子放在火塘上,总是在十一个哥哥回来之前把饭菜做好。她还收拾小屋,给小床铺上了漂
漂亮亮、干干净净的床单。哥哥们对她非常满意,和她快乐地生活在一起。
有一天,留在家里的公主和便雅明做了一顿非常丰盛的饭菜,等着哥哥们回来后一起坐
下来开心地又吃又喝。这座被人使了魔法的屋子有个小花园,里面开着十二朵百合花。公主
想让哥哥们高兴一下,便摘下了那十二朵花,准备在吃晚饭时送给每位哥哥一朵。但是,就
在她摘下那些百合花的同时,十二个哥哥变成了十二只乌鸦,从森林上空飞了过去。屋子和
花园也立刻消失了,荒凉的森林里现在只剩下了公主一个人。她朝四周看了看,见身边站着
一位老太婆。老太婆说:“我的孩子,瞧你都干了些什么!你为什么不让那些花长在那儿
呢?那些花就是你的哥哥呀。他们现在要永远变成乌鸦了。”
小姑娘哭着问:“难道没有办法救他们了吗?”
“没有,”老太婆说,“这个世界上只有一个办法能救你的哥哥们,可这个办法太难
了,你不会愿意用这个办法救他们的,因为你要做七年哑巴,不能说话也不能笑。要是你说
了一个字,哪怕是离七年只有一个小时,你的一切努力都会付诸东流――他们会因你说了一
个字而全部死掉。”
公主心中想:“我知道,我一定能救活我的哥哥们。”于是,她就走到一棵大树旁,爬
上去坐在上面纺纱,既不说话也不笑。说来也巧,一位年轻的国王打猎来到了这座森林。国
王有条大狼犬,它跑到公主坐着的大树下,不停地围着大树跳上跳下,对着姑娘吠叫不止。
国王跟了过来,看到了额头上有金色星星的美丽公主,一下子就被她的美貌迷住了。他大声
问她愿不愿意做他的妻子。她没有开口回答,但微微点了点头。于是,国王便亲自爬到树
上,把她抱下来放到马背上,带着她回到宫中。庄严的婚礼壮观而又热闹,可新娘却既不说
话也不欢笑。他们一起幸福地生活了好几年。国王的母亲是个邪恶的女人,开始说新王后的
坏话了,她对国王说:“你带回来的姑娘是个穷要饭的。谁知道她在搞什么鬼名堂呢!就算
她是个哑巴,就算她不会说话,可她总能笑一笑吧?从来不笑的人一定心肠很坏!”国王起
初不相信这些话,可他的母亲一直在他的面前念叨,而且总是说王后干了这样那样的坏事,
到后来,国王终于被蒙住了,而且判了王后死刑。
王宫的院子里点燃了一大堆火,王后将被这堆火烧死。国王站在楼上的窗口前,眼泪汪
汪地看着,因为他仍然深深地爱着王后。就在王后被紧紧地绑在火刑架上,红红的火舌开始
吞噬她的衣裳时,七年的最后一刹那终于过去了。空中传来了一阵呼啦呼啦的声音,十二只
乌鸦飞到这里落了下来。它们刚落地就变成了王后的十二个哥哥。他们拆掉火堆,扑灭火
焰,把他们的好妹妹放了下来,并且亲吻她、拥抱她。王后现在终于能开口说话了,她把自
己当哑巴、从来不笑的原因告诉了国王。国王知道她清白无辜后,非常高兴,与她幸福地生
活在一起,直到白发千古。国王那邪恶的母亲受到了审判,被塞进一只装着沸油和毒蛇的大
桶,死得很惨。
------------------

[/b]

[b]

10 /The Pack of Ragamuffins

The cock once said to the hen, "It is now the time when our nuts are ripe, so let us go to the hill together and for once eat our fill before the squirrel takes them all away." "Yes," replied the hen, "come, we will have some pleasure together." Then they went away to the hill, and on it was a bright day they stayed till evening. Now I do not know whether it was that they had eaten till they were too fat, or whether they had become proud, but they would not go home on foot, and the cock had to build a little carriage of nut-shells. When it was ready, the little hen seated herself in it and said to the cock, "Thou canst just harness thyself to it." "I like that!" said the cock, "I would rather go home on foot than let myself be harnessed to it; no, that is not our bargain. I do not mind being coachman and sitting on the box, but drag it myself I will not."
As they were thus disputing, a duck quacked to them, "You thieving folks, who bade you go to my nut-hill? Well, you shall suffer for it!" and ran with open beak at the cock. But the cock also was not idle, and fell boldly on the duck, and at last wounded her so with his spurs that she also begged for mercy, and willingly let herself be harnessed to the carriage as a punishment. The little cock now seated himself on the box and was coachman, and thereupon they went off in a gallop, with "Duck, go as fast as thou canst." When they had driven a part of the way they met two foot-passengers, a pin and a needle. They cried, "Stop! stop!" and said that it would soon be as dark as pitch, and then they could not go a step further, and that it was so dirty on the road, and asked if they could not get into the carriage for a while. They had been at the tailor's public- house by the gate, and had stayed too long over the beer. As they were thin people, who did not take up much room, the cock let them both get in, but they had to promise him and his little hen not to step on their feet. Late in the evening they came to an inn, and as they did not like to go further by night, and as the duck also was not strong on her feet, and fell from one side to the other, they went in. The host at first made many objections, his house was already full, besides he thought they could not be very distinguished persons; but at last, as they made pleasant speeches, and told him that he should have the egg which the little hen has laid on the way, and should likewise keep the duck, which laid one every day, he at length said that they might stay the night. And now they had themselves well served, and feasted and rioted. Early in the morning, when day was breaking, and every one was asleep, the cock awoke the hen, brought the egg, pecked it open, and they ate it together, but they threw the shell on the hearth. Then they went to the needle which was still asleep, took it by the head and stuck it into the cushion of the landlord's chair, and put the pin in his towel, and at the last without more ado they flew away over the heath. The duck who liked to sleep in the open air and had stayed in the yard, heard them going away, made herself merry and found a stream, down which she swam, which was a much quicker way of travelling than being harnessed to a carriage. The host did not get out of bed for two hours after this; he washed himself and wanted to dry himself, then the pin went over his face and made a red streak from one ear to the other. After this he went into the kitchen and wanted to light a pipe, but when he came to the hearth the egg-shell darted into his eyes. "This morning everything attacks my head, " said he, and angrily sat down on his grandfather's chair, but he quickly started up again and cried, "Woe is me, " for the needle had pricked him still worse than the pin, and not in the head. Now he was thoroughly angry, and suspected the guests who had come so late the night before, and when he went and looked about for them, they were gone. Then he made a vow to take no more ragamuffins into his house, for they consume much, pay for nothing, and play mischievous tricks into the bargain by way of gratitude.

[/b]